Onions vs. Shallots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
licia, I'm with you. If someone ever cmes to my home, eats my food and then has the nerve to criticise it, they probably are not returning. I cannot imagine a person not liking onions. But I do NOT go out of my way to cook for fussy eaters. I can do diabetes, diverticulitis, vegetarian of all sorts (to include vegan). I can do Jewish (but not real kosher), and Moslem. But at my table, in my house, fussy eating isn't tolerated. If you don't want to eat it, pick it out and put it aside and keep your mouth shut. My observation is that the fussy eaters never seem to actually host a get-together.

My son-in-law is the one who does not like onions - if it had been anyone else I would not have cared. I actually ended up making the turkey meatloaf WITH the onions and chopped them very fine. It was a success - he loved it - you couldn't even see the onions. All was good :)

My daughter's boyfriend dislikes onions, mushrooms, olives, and I'm not sure what else. It's no picnic cooking for him as these are ingredients I use regularly.

Roy said:
licia, I'm with you. If someone ever cmes to my home, eats my food and then has the nerve to criticise it, they probably are not returning. I cannot imagine a person not liking onions. But I do NOT go out of my way to cook for fussy eaters. I can do diabetes, diverticulitis, vegetarian of all sorts (to include vegan). I can do Jewish (but not real kosher), and Moslem. But at my table, in my house, fussy eating isn't tolerated. If you don't want to eat it, pick it out and put it aside and keep your mouth shut. My observation is that the fussy eaters never seem to actually host a get-together.

Haha, your post seemed a little cold hearted and not very host like until I read the very last statement. I think you might be onto something there.

If you're just needing a little bit of shallot for a sauce, I'd recommend Penzey's dried shallots. They reconstitute beautifully, and are much more economical and convenient than running out to buy a fresh shallot at the last minute!

Back
Top Bottom