Pizza Burger ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam14

Assistant Cook
Hi, everyone. I'm hoping that some of you might have some ideas or suggestions for me. Here's the scenario. I'm developing a menu for a new burger restaurant that will be opening in my area soon. The menu is going to have about 3 or 4 "specialty" burgers on it. I came up with an idea and a recipe for a Nacho burger last week - tested on a dozen or so people and got fantastic reviews. I'm very happy about that. I also had an idea for a Pizza burger. It's basically a thin paddy with hamburger "walls" that hold in the sauce, mozzarella cheese and toppings. I made three last night. My wife was the first guines pig. She said it was alright, but was missing something. On her's I put, pepperoni - sauteed ahead of time - and mushrooms - also sauteed ahead of time with some garlic and butter. I then tried mine - toasted the bun, left off the mushrooms and added more pepperoni and some oregano. It sounds like mine was better than hers, but it was definitely missing something. I made a third for my business partner - doubled the pepperoni, kept the oregano and put mushrooms on - and he said it was pretty good and worthy to put on the menu - but I'm still not sure.

Now, the thing about it is, I can't change the actual hamburger mix recipe. It's going to be standard for 95% of the burgers on the menu. My wife had suggested making the bun more like garlic bread to give it that "something" that was missing. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I might try to spice this burger up? It tasted like a bland, mushy pizza on a bun. I don't mind the "messy" part of it, and actually like that it's messy to eat.

Thanks to any and all suggestions :) I have pictures of my burger, as it was being cooked. I'm at work right now, but if anyone wants to see it, let me know and I'll put them up here when I get home.

Adam

Something you might think about: In conventional thought, the original reason for pizza wasn't the toppings - it's the BREAD! Toppings, even the original Pizza Margarite, were secondary. The real focus was the chewy and well developed flavor of the bread. But going with a pizza theme on a burger (which sounds strange to me) my suggestion would be for you to consider organizing the most popular and basic toppings: Mozzarella cheese, tomato based sauce and basil. But whatever you decide, keep it simple and uncomplicated flavor-wise. Good luck!

Thanks for your input, Arky :) The burger will probably be on the menu to include, sauce, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. There will also be a small list of toppings that can be added. Thinking of a different bun to closer resemble that of pizza dough might be a great way to go. I've already found our bun supplier, I might look into what other kinds of bread they make. Thanks! :)

A key ingredient in pizza sauce is fennel seed IMHO. Fennel seed may help with that "pizza flavor."

Ciabatta might be a nice "bun" with the middle hollowed out. The bread should be maybe grilled a bit before the burger goes on.

Kind of a loaded question...Did you want it more Pizza-like? More burger-like? Or just want to intensify the flavor of the whole thing?

I have three suggestions:
Spicy sausage as a topping and/or
Worcestershire sauce mixed into the ground meat
Add the "kick" you're looking directly to the sauce.

Yes, it's the fennel seed!!! It could be crushed and sprinkled on the patty while cooking it.

That's a good idea Wyogal. If the burgers are made to order, more or less, you could even inject the burger with some sauce. Or, stuff the burger with the pizza ingredients. I think you will notice a big difference with the fennel seed though.

I agree with the choice of bread, and since you're already shaping the patty to hold the pizza toppings, something like a grilled flatbread would work beautifully.

And yeah, a shot of fennel would do wonders, as would a hit of parmesan to give it some sharpness.

or, mix fennel, red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic pwd, season the patty; top with provolone. Serve on a toasted ciabatta. I use a sort of Italian "catsup" with mine: tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel, sugar (just a bit), cooked together. Instead of the regular lettuce, onion, pickle, tomato on the side, you could put other pizza toppings: artichoke hearts, grilled onions, olives, etc. maybe arugula instead of iceberg lettuce? or fresh spinach leaves?

?? I use a non-smoked provolone, like it on my pizza, like it on my Italian burgers.

I'm not a professional cook by any means.I just play one at home. :D

What comes to mind is
Onion Rolls,can be made ahead of time,and toasted when you need them.

Jazz up the tomatoes with some Italian Seasonings.Checca? Diced tomatoes with fresh garlic,basil,olive oil,sea salt.Tomatoes are in season and relatively cheap to get right now.

Play with the mayo,add a little garlic paste and blend,with some freshly diced Sweet Red Bell Peppers.Those to are in season.

Instead of Mozzarella,how about Provolone,Monterey Jack..

Good luck.

Munky.

?? I use a non-smoked provolone, like it on my pizza, like it on my Italian burgers.

By all means. I know that even regular aged prov gives off a very strong flavor when melted that may be off-putting to someone expecting their burger to taste like a pizza. I'd still say go with a combo of mozz and parm.

By all means. I know that even regular aged prov gives off a very strong flavor when melted that may be off-putting to someone expecting their burger to taste like a pizza. I'd still say go with a combo of mozz and parm.
I agree! Getting away from Mozzarella and/or Parmesan cheese takes it away from being a pizza burger... unless you're from California. (I can say that! I lived there for 25 years! - ugh!)

Wow!!! Thank you all SO much! I'm going to print this thread and try these ideas. It sounds like fennel seed might be what it was missing most. The bun definitely needs a rethinking. I also like the idea of fresh spinach or other greens on there. There was a definite texture issue - not enough. And yes, I know it may sound like an unusual idea, but that is kinda what I am going for. Our place won't really serve more than burgers, hot dogs and chicken wings..there will be more, but those are the staples. So instead of pizza and nachoes, I thought a pizza burger and nacho burger were in order! Thanks again :)

Funny thing is, I'm not an olive guy, but I mentioned that exact idea (plus a bit of tzatziki) to my wife about a week ago and she said it didn't sound good, so I dropped the idea. I was having a family birthday BBQ at my house last Sunday. I made two different kinds of stuffed burgers (bacon/cheddar and swiss/mushroom) and I wanted a 3rd option for the guests. I thought the Greek burger sounded like a good idea too, but she didn't. I went with the aforementioned nacho burger as the third instead. So, it does sound good then? It would be like a gyro burger.

It depends on your clientele. You could always do a "special" and see if the customers bite... pun intended!!
Bleu cheese and bacon is a good combo, too.

haha! I like puns almost as much as I like cooking...nah, even moreso. I like the bleu cheese idea though! A buffalo(as in wing sauce, not the animal) burger with bleu cheese! I am SO glad I found this place a few days ago...I'm never leaving!

haha! I like puns almost as much as I like cooking...nah, even moreso. I like the bleu cheese idea though! A buffalo(as in wing sauce, not the animal) burger with bleu cheese! I am SO glad I found this place a few days ago...I'm never leaving!

Toss some bleu cheese, chopped celery in some hot sauce and stuff the burger!

Back
Top Bottom