Smoked Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy M. said:
How about if you grind the smoked salt and use it as a condiment at the table?

That would probably be the way to get the most smoke flavor from it. It think it will make a salt grinder permanently smell like smoke. If you have a grinder you want to dedicate then give it a shot! I guess I could use the mortar and pestle to grind it up.

I use a coffee grinder with a stainless steel interior to grind spices. Residual odors aren't a problem. There ae no porous surfaces to absorb the smell of smoke.

I got the spices I ordered from eBay today. I haven't opened, sniffed and tasted yet, but they look lovely and are nice big jars as promised. The one called "Pot Herb", which is a mix of marjoram and thyme, looks like something from my college days. :cool: I'lll have to watch it, or my grandson will be trying to roll one up.

SilvrBck,

As a head’s up, the McCormick company makes a Hickory Smoked Salt that I use all the time in making BBQ rubs. I’m not sure what you’re looking to use it for though. I’ll tell you right now it does taste artificial – but if you’re only using it as a background flavor, it’s adequate. It sounds like the advantage it may have for you is that it’s not made in some weirdo’s back yard. I know you can make the stuff pretty easily. I think I saw a recipe for it in one of the thousands of Steven Raichlen books (maybe BBQ USA?). I’d just go to the store and look up the recipe. I can also tell you that McCormick’s salt costs maybe 3 bucks – certainly not eight. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom