Seasonings to pair with rosemary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marinate your chicken in Italian salad dressing with crushed garlic and chopped rosemary.

I’m serious.
I found a recipe or Italian dressing just exactly for that, for marinating chicken. When I use fresh rosemary, I usually chop it fine. If I use dry rosemary, I turn it into powder in a mortar with a pestle. I hate being poked in the gums by sharp rosemary needles.

Lovage, lavender, dill, and lemon peel

Lots of things! I don't have one that uses all four at once though, but a fast google search will yield tons of results for most of the combos.

Some that I especially enjoy:
  • Rosemary and lavender shortbread cookies.
  • Roasted lamb kabobs. Removing the leaves from the rosemary twigs, I use the twigs as skewers. Then make a marinade from other ingredients to your liking. Dill and lemon go especially well here.
  • Rosemary and dill potatoes are lovely. Honestly, I love dill and use it for many things. A flavored butter would be nice with these two ingredients. Serve it on whatever you want.
  • Lemon peel and anything listed above. Tea, marinades, seasonings for veggies, soups, etc.
Those are some very cool options, thank you! I really like dill, so I definitely want to check that out!

When I bake chicken I use a slice of lemon under and over the chicken and season the chicken with salt pepper and a lot of paprika. Paprika is aromatic and makes the chicken look great and tastes great.

You might also consider cilantro. And of course not an herb but celery imparts and herb like flavor. You could just lay them on top or inside and remove them before serving.

Granted I do usually top my lemon baked chicken with the usual herbs you can't use. But I have a feeling it would be just fine just like that. Also keep in mind that different peppers like Chili peppers or spices made from Chili peppers are also aromatic and impart flavor not unlike herbs. I add poblano to a lot of things because it's fairly mild, but I never fail to roast it and then take most of the blackended skin off before doing it because the outer part can be bitter.

Anaheim pepper is also mild. In a baked chicken dish when you're not going for spicy but aromatic you wouldn't want to use much. In fact you could just lay some bigger pieces around or on top and remove them before serving.

And you can use either Rosemary or thyme. You certainly don't need to use them together. You really don't need two.

Another mild thing that you can add flavor with is leeks just snipped off and used more like an herb instead of as a side.
Those are some really good suggestions, thank you so much! I'm a HUGE fan of poblano, I make a poblano crema sometimes… Maybe that could be a base to add seasoning to?

Not tarragon. I hate it. Yes, I’ve actually MADE chicken with rosemary. Not often, as I’m not a huge fan of it either.

Like I suggested awhile back. Why not skip the rosemary? Marinate your chicken in Italian salad dressing and roast it.
The rosemary was a gift, and to show my gratitude for that gift I'm going to use it.

I came across this recipe and thought thought of this thread. If you don't have or like capers or olives, leave them out. I might make it myself, and add some artichoke hearts as well.
Lemon-Rosemary-Garlic Chicken And Potatoes
I love artichoke hearts! I wouldn't have thought of that. The picture looks beautiful, and I do greatly prefer dark meat; thanks for the recipe!

@BurnsWater Your mention of oregano in Mexican food brings up another herb - Mexican oregano, which is another species, but similar in flavor, to Greek oregano. And Mexican oregano is not in the mint family. I've sprouted the seeds, but couldn't get them to grow well. Something I will try again, eventually.
Very useful information, thank you!

That's a reason I can get behind. Tastes change over time for many things. It's worth trying things from time to time, to see if you still like or don't like them.

I have found that I actually like cilantro if I put it in a homemade salsa, in small amounts. I've read that the acidic ingredients of salsas alter the effect of the aldehydes in cilantro, but I have found no scientific information to back that up. It does seem to work in my homemade salsas.

BTW, I don't like the texture of rosemary -- too "woody" for me. Using the sprigs in braising then removing works for me. I lose very few "needles." Perhaps the freshness of the rosemary makes a difference -- my sprigs are snipped from my garden minutes before I use them.

CD
Have you tried cilantro with parsley, like in a chimichurri? It really is a different taste experience that way. I've also used them both together in Green Goddess dressing, which was delicious; I made it with avocado, too, for creaminess

Whole chickens were on sale the other day and I've got one in the freezer. Read that recipe GG and it sounds great! plus the fact I can do it in the slow cooker and not have to use the oven upstairs (although I've done a whole chicken in my toaster oven). My cuisinart slow cooker has a sear function and have seared and done whole chickens in it before. This sounds perfect for that next whole chicken!

burnswater, you don't have to add the whole amount of rosemary it calls for. Reduce from 3 Tbsp to just under 2 if you'd like, or even less. You should still get a hint of the aroma/flavour.

Hint: once you do use it and tell your neighbour - if you fudge your answer and feign loving it she is liable to dump a ton more on you. Better to be honest - tell her your husband loves it but it is not your favourite. If she still insists to give you lots, take out a sprig or two and just say - that's wonderful, thank you, but this is all I really need, it will really just go to waste if you give me more!
You're totally right, I will NOT be using the full amount of rosemary called for in recipes, because they're created by people who LIKE rosemary… I'll sprinkle some extra bits on my husband's chicken, or maybe give him a whole sprig to make it look extra fancy.

My friend will undoubtedly give me more rosemary in the future; assuming I make something that my husband does actually like, it's not such a hardship to make it for him. I haven't given up hope yet, though, that I can come up with a seasoning combo that works for ME!

Classic Italian seasoning is: basil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme.

That's right, it's the mint family, lol! So, as you can imagine, I do not make Italian dressing… and I don't buy bottled salad dressing.
I just don't think it tastes like them...is it a dislike for the flavor of those other herbs or an allergy? At any rate, maybe you could make a homemade garlicky vinaigrette omitting those herbs for a marinade? It does seem like the vinegar could mask or balance the rosemary flavor somewhat.

Those are some really good suggestions, thank you so much! I'm a HUGE fan of poblano, I make a poblano crema sometimes… Maybe that could be a base to add seasoning to?
I too, like poblano. Could you maybe post your version? We have a section called Sauces Marinades and Rubs. You could post it in there.
I'm sure others would love to hear it too.

Some of the poblano creams are very almost floral. Every time I go to a restaurant they have a different type of poblano cream. They're all pretty good.

I talked about celery up there but failed to mention that you can use those celery leaves that are on the inside of the cluster as an herb.

Before Mississippi pot roast I had a favorite pot roast recipe that was a little more trouble and used rosemary and garlic stuffed in slits in the roast. It was really good,. But I don't automatically think of Rosemary and beef either.

I just don't think it tastes like them...is it a dislike for the flavor of those other herbs or an allergy? At any rate, maybe you could make a homemade garlicky vinaigrette omitting those herbs for a marinade? It does seem like the vinegar could mask or balance the rosemary flavor somewhat.
I don't use marinades… or add oil to food… and I'm already using garlic. The end to the rosemary story is in an upcoming post!

I too, like poblano. Could you maybe post your version? We have a section called Sauces Marinades and Rubs. You could post it in there.
I'm sure others would love to hear it too.
I don't have a specific recipe, it's just raw poblano with a blob of yogurt, blended together. Every recipe I found when I was researching this uses roasted or charred poblano, though, so I assume that's the proper way to do it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom