What is your "house" bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bossman150

Cook
Just curious what bread everyone uses for their every day bread? For the last 15 years we have been using Rotella's Steakhouse Twist, not just twist but it has to be Steakhouse Twist. Its very moist and chewy and has a flavor that we fell in love with. A few times we have purchased the twist and it was not good, its just too dry. The only difference is how long its cooked. Up until then my parents and then I just bought whatever was on sale, the Steakhouse Twist was a game changer for us. Since my parent's my son and I always do joined meals we go through 3-4 loaves a week.

Last edited:
My grandmother's white bread and her brown bread. We don't buy bread, haven't for eons. I don't eat bread. Mom likes the brown, dad likes the white.

I haven't bought commercially-produced bread products for well over 30 years. All the bread that is in our house is "produced" by my two hands.

I've always loved making bread(s) and had a bit of a challenge when Arthur took over my hands and caused kneading to be more than uncomfortable. Enter my first bread machine in 1999. It has only made bread as per the manual twice. I use it strictly for kneading and the first rise of the bread products I make.

Thankfully, I have two machines because the holidays are a busy time and it's not unusual for both of them to be going (staggered times) at the same time.

A few years ago I made over 100 baguettes for a professor friend as a fundraiser for his students to build their money for a trip to England. There were days when our dining room table was stacked like cord wood with baguettes. Never could have done that strictly by hand.

I haven't been in the bread aisle of the market in years so I don't really know what is offered these days.

We use all kinds. I have some no-knead dough in the fridge all the time, so I can make bread or rolls whenever I want. I also make sandwich bread sometimes, with King Arthur Flour's recipe for English Toasting Bread. When it cools off, I'll start making rye bread for DH's sandwiches for work.

Love Love Love bread! (I any have made mention, we love breads in Hawaii)
I like to make my own but sometimes time is of the essence.
For store bought bread, it's:

King's Bakery Portuguese Sweet Bread aka King's Hawaiian Bread (I like my Great grandmother's recipe better, but)

Trader Joe's Half Baked Idea Ciabatta bread

TJ's Soft Pretzel Sticks

Great Value Rye Bread (it's cheap and friendly)

Sara Lee's 45 Multi grain bread

That's what's in my deep freeze right now.

For homemade breads when the weather is not so brutal:

All sorts of no-knead breads (like GG, I have one in the `fridge at all times during the Fall and Winter ready to go)

I like to use the FP for different recipes of crusty Italian breads, super easy, with a side of Olive Oil and herbs for dipping

and as I said above, my great grandmother's recipe for Portuguese Sweet Bread, YUM! :yum: slathered with loads of butter and toasted under the broiler til GBD!! Dunked in coffee or hot chocolate, try it!

Peter Reinharts bread for classic white bread worked well for me, I want to try some others!

Attachments

• IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 224
House bread? :huh: No such thing here. It's what I'm in the mood for/what goes with upcoming meals/can I make what I need or do I go ahead and buy. I'm not sure if I ever get the same bread two times in a row. I do need to have bread in the house, though. My Dad was a bread delivery driver. If I didn't have bread, he'd come and haun...wait, if I didn't have bread, he'd come visit???:ermm:

We no longer keep bread in the house...:cool:

I have never been fond of bread. As a kid I would tear off the crusts and take a small bit, then take off a piece of the bread, then another bite, then more bread gone. The only way I will eat a whole slice of bread is if it is toasted. And I prefer whole wheat.

We don't eat bread every day, but for store bought, it is Martin's potato bread products, mostly burger and slider rolls. Homemade, I think the Disney, Epcot cheese bread Karen makes is my favorite.:yum:

We don't use bread every day, but it depends on the meal we're having as to what we use. If it's spaghetti or pasta, Mom likes Martin's Italian sliced bread and we will put the leftovers in the freezer for later use. For sandwiches it's Farm Fresh Honey Wheat.

I love Milton's breads. My favorite is their Seeds and Grains Whole Wheat, I almost always have it in the house. Tyler loves it too, for his after-school pb and honey sandwiches. It also makes really good toast.

Once in a while I'll get a loaf of sourdough if I'm planning on making French toast, BLT's, Reubens, or garlic toast for pasta dishes - but the Miltons whole wheat is pretty much a staple here.

Milton’s Craft Bakers - Seeds & Grains

Last edited:
I keep a few slices of Wonder Bread around for one reason only--it's the only thing to use for genuwine, sliced American Cheese Product grilled cheese sandwiches. Sometimes, you just need one of those.

Shrek eats any bread, usually whole grain white. I only eat rye bread and that is rare. I must have rye toast with my sunny-side up eggs.

Back
Top Bottom