What to cook for Dom Perignon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pback

Assistant Cook
Hey there!
I've got my hands on a bottle of Dom Perignon (2000) (also got a bottle of 2002, but I'm going to safe that for later:)), and I don't really know what to serve with it?

I'm a pretty decent cook, but I rarely do fancy stuff and this time I want to get it just right.

I'm thinking that I want to make a lot of small dishes, but I would like some inspiration.

Can you help me?

Best regards,
Peter:chef:

Champagne pretty much goes with everything. Especially simple things. I like to have oysters on the half shell with champagne, no sauce, just fresh oysters. Or even some caviar on water crackers or toast points, if you're looking to splurge.

One Xmas, back in the late '70s, me and the ex and a friend were pretty short on cash. We pooled our money and it came to about $100.

Xmas supper was: lobsters with melted butter, asparagus, and a bottle of Dom Perignon. Very enjoyable and memorable.

I had a couple of magnums of the 2000. They were a gift from my employer at the time.Goos stuff!

How about coconut shrimp or a seafood beshamel over rice.

have to tell you that one of the best pairings with Champagne is potato chips! No joke.

Seriously, anything you want to eat will go swimmingly with your Dom P.

A votre Sante!

I was given a bottle of 1983 Dom P for my birthday a few years ago and decided to just save it for a special occasion. I still have that bottle. Is is any good?

It depends on how well it stored.Only one way to find out!

10 years is about it but that can be doubled or tripled if stored properly.A magnum will last longer than a 750.

I was given a bottle of 1983 Dom P for my birthday a few years ago and decided to just save it for a special occasion. I still have that bottle. Is is any good?
I would seriously consider trying it now. That depends on how it's stored. Just going on the fact that you're asking about it, it makes me wonder if it has been cellared properly. As a personal aside, I think Dom Perignon is a little over-hyped. I've had Moet-Chandon (the same company) White Star that was much better--and @ $35/bottle--more reasonably priced, than Dom. I love non-vintage Krug as well. My all-time favorite was an 82 Salon. Hay-ell------we served Korbel at both my daughters' weddings with no complaints! Back to your question--chill that bottle and try it. Life's too short, and without proper cellaring, wine will age, not improve. What's the worst that will happen? ;)

I would open it as soon as possible. We opened a bottle of Dom that had been stored for about 10 years or so in a cellar. It had gone bad. My grandmother shrugged her shoulders and proceeded to down her glass and reach for seconds :cool:

depends upon how you kept it. If it's been in a temperature controlled storage situation, or a cool basement, likely it's condition ranges from drinkable to excellent. On the downside, if you've kept it just somewhere in the house, or worse, in your kitchen refrigerator, no doubt it's vinegar.

That's the problem with special bottles like that. We keep saving them for a "special day" that never comes, and then when you DO want it, it's ruined.

Wine is a living thing. Store the good stuff right, you can keep it for years, sometimes even centuries. But most of us don't have the proper storage facilities, and dont even think about what might be the best place that we do have. Unlike wine that should be stored on its side to keep the cork moist, Champagne is best stored upside down for long term, or up. Kitchen refrigerators don't have enough humidity to keep the cork from shrinking significantly, so if y ou left it in the fridge, the codk contracted and allowed air into the bottle.

Years ago I had a friend who received a bottle of 85 Dom. She stuck it in her fridge and there it sat for oh, probably 8 years. Then she decided to share it with a special man, and they ceremoniously opened the bottle to find it totally undrinkable. Needless to say, the mood was ruined, as well.

I would open that bottle tonight and, if you're lucky, you'll have one fine bevvie with your dinner. But I'm not putting any money on that. Sorry.

Pizza. Champagne is perfect with pizza. Really :)

I concur. In fact, for New Years Eve last year, I made a Spinach and Artichoke pizza that we enjoyed with a bottle of Charles Heidsieck MV Brut. A great pairing.:)

My favorite wine that I really can't afford but sometimes a girl has to splurge, you know, is Krug Grand Cuvee. Like it better tham Dom, better than Cristal, better than Grande Dame, better than Comtes des Champagne....:D

Didn't mean to hijack this thread but thanks for the replies regarding my 1983 Dom P.
The bottle has not been stored properly. It's been sitting upright at the bottom of our curio cabinet all these years and I suspect it has gone bad years ago.
That one special occasion which I was saving the bottle for came and went without celebration. It was my very last mortgage payment of our house several years ago. I completely forgot about the bottle stashed away for that occasion. It was probably bad then anyway....:-p :)

Still, it wouldn't hurt to pop that cork on Friday night and "just see" what's inside...... (In case you hadn't guessed, I'm a "Cockeyed Optimist" :LOL:).

Thanks, but if I do that I won't be able to sell it on Ebay for $50....:LOL:

(I just saw one listing of that same vintage on Ebay)

You won't be able to sell it anyway, unless you enjoy lying. Anyone who would purchase it would also inquire as to how it had been stored all these years. :ohmy:

You won't be able to sell it anyway, unless you enjoy lying. Anyone who would purchase it would also inquire as to how it had been stored all these years. :ohmy:

True. I do not wish to deceive anyone. And I do not wish to tarnish my positive feedbacks on Ebay.

What I'll do is keep it in the curio cabinet as a display piece.

Hey there!
I've got my hands on a bottle of Dom Perignon (2000) (also got a bottle of 2002, but I'm going to safe that for later:)), and I don't really know what to serve with it?

I'm a pretty decent cook, but I rarely do fancy stuff and this time I want to get it just right.

I'm thinking that I want to make a lot of small dishes, but I would like some inspiration.

Can you help me?

Best regards,
Peter:chef:

Hi Peter. You mean small as in finger foods? Or maybe small as in filet mignon?

Back
Top Bottom