A wholesome & healthy artichoke dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boufa06

Executive Chef
This dish is my adaption of a classic dish that originates from the displaced Greeks who live for centuries in the Byzantine Empire city of Constantinopole, now known as Istanbul in Turkey. In a disastrous war for the Greeks in 1922, many of the Greeks living in Constantinopole were forced to flee as refugees to Greece. The 'polita' in the dish's name refers to Constantinopole and the culinary tradition of the displaced Greeks.

This vegetarian dish is a wholesome, healthy meal with a fine balance of artichokes, carrots, onions and potatoes. In addition, dillweed, lemon juice, and olive oil, give this dish added taste and aroma.

AGGINARES A LA POLITA (Artichokes Constantinopole-style)

Ingredients:
6 artichoke hearts (if fresh are not available, use frozen or canned)
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
2 onions, each sliced into 6 pieces
3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
50gm (about 2oz) peas
1 small bunch of dill, finely chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lemon

Method:
1. Fry onions in olive oil.
2. Add potatoes and carrots and cook for a while.
3. Add peas, dill, salt, pepper and enough water to cover. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
4. Add artichokes and lemon juice and cook for another 10 minutes or until all the water is absorbed before dishing it out from the pan.

Serves 2

boufa,
this sounds delicious, since we here all love artichokes I'll be making this very soon. Thank you.
kadesma:)

boufa, this is the thread you mentioned in the Food Game yes?

well it sounds great! :)
I have to wait until my artichokes are ready to pick, but I`ll bookmark this until then, it sounds more interesting than eating them out of a bowl with melted butter in front of the TV :)

boufa, Will be trying this recipe soon. Artichokes a wonderful healthy veggie. Have you tried the recipe served over brown rice? Or always eat as is?

Aria, we eat it as it is. However, if you so wish to serve with brown rice, it's perfectly alright.

boufa, Thanks. I did not look at your recipe too closely. 3 potatoes. I think this is FINE without the brown rice. This is a SUPER recipe. Please...keep them coming.

Back
Top Bottom