"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Slice the stems and cook with the florets. Waste not want not. I like them raw in salads too.
Give it a try Zagut. Peel them first. Then slice into match sticks. If you find that you don't like them raw, then you like them cooked. Next place the cooked and peeled pieces in the fridge, and later use in a salad.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Do a version of Korean veggie and seafood patty (yachaejeon). Shred the stems and leaves like you would do with potatoes if you were making hash browns, then mix the shredded stems/leaves with beaten eggs, some flour, chopped scallion, salt, and some finely chopped ahrimp and imitation crab.

Form into patties and shallow fry in a neutral oil like grapeseed.

If you like spicy, add some minced jalapeno, and serve with gochujang (spicy red pepper paste - sort of like Korean ketchup, but a little spicy).

Hth.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broccoli, recipe

Broccoli Stems and Leaves. I love the floret's in many different ways. :yum: But haven't really found a good use for the stems and leaves except to add them to stock. :neutral: Been thinking maybe deep fried stems might be interesting and might have to give it a try some day. After all they seem to deep fry anything at State and County fairs. :wink: Anybody have any suggestion's or should I keep sending them to the compost pile or freezer for stock at a later date? :huh: This question came to mind as I prepped broccoli for tonight's dinner. :chef: I hate to waste anything that has a use I don't know about. :mad: Yes the compost pile isn't a waste as it is used to grow more later but if I can cook it and enjoy it it's much more fun. :bounce: 3 stars 1 reviews