Spinach stems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
So, today I cooked a dish with a fair amount of spinach. I got a bit more than a pound of spinach, but I would say that about a quarter to a third of that weight was stems. Now, I don't mind the thin little stems on the small leaves, but a lot of these stems were thicker and 7-10 cm (3"-4") long.

I hate waste. Is there anything I can do with those stems? I don't think they would make a good addition to vegi stock, but if someone has experience with that, let me know.

What would you do with them?

Spinach is used a lot in Indian cooking, and a lot of puréed spinach is used, which is something you can do with the stems, in a high speed blender - not as dark green, but it uses up the stems! Here are a bunch of recipes using purée. While you might not want to make most of the dishes, some might give you ideas, to use it in the same way, using other seasonings. I use some of the recipes with brassicas, instead of spinach, using things that most people throw away!

Last edited:
Spinach is used a lot in Indian cooking, and a lot of puréed spinach is used, which is something you can do with the stems, in a high speed blender - not as dark green, but it uses up the stems! Here are a bunch of recipes using purée. While you might not want to make most of the dishes, some might give you ideas, to use it in the same way, using other seasonings. I use some of the recipes with brassicas, instead of spinach, using things that most people throw away!
I had a look and that's a bit daunting. I'm looking for something easy.

Indian recipes almost all have tomato (nightshade), so I limit that and we haven't reintroduced tomato for DH, since he has just barely finished nightshade elimination. We are reintroducing chilis before the more mundane foods. ;)

But, looking at those recipes did give me an idea. Blissful shared a link to a dehydrating site. That site recommends drying greens to turn into a powder that can be added to lots of kinds of food to boost vegi consumption. That just might work.

Last edited:
Slice them real fine and cook them. Will take a little longer than the leaves but it will be tasty.
Maybe fry with bacon, onion, garlic, chili and some fish sauce
Or leave out chili and fish sauce and add sour cream.

They work well in stir fries

I use raw spinach for it's chlorophyll content in asparagus soups or a pea flan I do. It adds color and the right color without too much flavor. I might also use those stems in a chimichurri, or a salad dressing like green goddess for example and of course soups and stews are a no brainer.

So, today I cooked a dish with a fair amount of spinach. I got a bit more than a pound of spinach, but I would say that about a quarter to a third of that weight was stems. Now, I don't mind the thin little stems on the small leaves, but a lot of these stems were thicker and 7-10 cm (3"-4") long.

I hate waste. Is there anything I can do with those stems? I don't think they would make a good addition to vegi stock, but if someone has experience with that, let me know.

What would you do with them?
Taste them to make sure they are not all bitter.

if not, add them raw to a delicious, versatile and super easy Italian salsa verde.

Last edited:
Taste them to make sure they are not all bitter.

if not, add them raw to a delicious, versatile and super easy Italian salsa verde.

Thank you for that suggestion. I have saved the recipe to CMT. Also, thank you for the reminder to taste the stems for bitterness before using them. It's one of those things that is obvious, when you think of it, but oh so easy to have it slip one's mind and cause a "D'oh!" moment. I wrote a note with the recipe to remember the taste test.

Dehydrating them is a pretty good idea. They'll crumble into a powder after they are completely dry.
Most of the spinach I've bought haven't had really long stems. I do like to gather it onto a breadboard in my left hand, then chop it a bit, so if there are some stems, I cut those too. I use that in salads and when I steam it to eat alone or with veggie rice.

I like that idea, @blissful. Have you ever dried the Swiss chard stems, and powdered them? I ask because I just harvested about a dozen leaves and long stems, and always look for something to put them in - usually a Thai or Indian curry! The powder would be easy to use in a lot of things.

@pepperhead212 I haven't tried dehydrating with swiss chard stems. I really like the stems, I almost always dice them cook them first then the leaves when I eat it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom