Fried rice a la Dawg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I really like how this turned out! Had about 3 cups of precooked brown rice I spelunked from the freezer.

I fried up about 8 slices of chopped bacon, on medium, in a cast iron skillet, poured off most of the grease, then added a couple eggs and scrambled them with the bacon. Added a couple handfuls of chopped green onion, a T of fish sauce and low sodium soy sauce, bashed the heck out of a bottle of some low sodium oyster sauce (maybe about 1/4 cup) and added the precooked rice. A squirt of sesame oil, a handful of golden raisins, a couple handfuls of frozen baby peas, a half can of rinsed and drained bean sprouts. Cooked and stirred. Think I might sprinkle on some China Boy noodles.

My original plans had been to use pineapple chunks, but the raisins worked well.

Last edited:
Thanks, PF! She was on floor cleanup committee. No rice grain left behind. Or bacon grains, I also noticed.

Last edited:
Sounds great Dawg. I also always do my fried rice with bacon, it may not be "authentic" but I've yet to be turned in by the food police, and it makes it delicious. I also do chopped celery with leaves in mine in addition to the peas and throw in a handful of sliced almonds on the top. Add some shrimp to the mix and you've got a meal!

Last edited:
Thanks Kayelle! I was disappointed as I was out of pineapple, but the raisins were a great standin. I haven't been arrested by the Food Police yet either! I always use bacon in my fried rice.

I like the idea of the raisins, now I'm thinking of using leftover turkey and craisins, gobble, gobble!

This is one of those recipes where the process is more important than the ingredients. I make it every couple of weeks on musgoe night, always different, a real comfort food. A great addition to the DC budget recipe hall of fame. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

40 some years ago a friend's mom made fried rice with Bacon. It's been our favorite fried rice ever since. Don't always have bacon in the house, nevertheless, it is a preferred ingredient. Pineapple, I have to try this too. And raisins.

Last edited:
My mom was a marginal cook at best, but she always added bacon and peas to her fried rice packet mix, along with the Minute Rice. We loved it!

Love the bacon! And raisins ... that sounds really good. I have been eating quite a bit of rice (yay for the rice cooker!) so I might just gather the energy and mojo to do this this weekend. Thank you for sharing!

I think peas should be a law...

Thanks JMed, how are you doing?

We had a bunch of it, and now we're down to a half cup. How did that happen?

Last edited:
Most everybody knows that fried rice must be done with cold leftover rice for good results. I seldom plan that far ahead so in a pinch I've found I can cook it and spread it out on a cookie sheet and stick it in the freezer for a while. Maybe everyone here knows that, but a new cook reading here may not.

Last edited:
Good tip, Kayelle. I boil up a bunch of brown rice the old fashioned way (no rice cooker) and bag and freeze it. I adore pineapple fried rice. And now raisin fried rice!

I guess I have read more than several times you can freeze rice. I gotta remember this. On days I want fried rice in the winter, I just set a covered Tupperware container on the back step. While I wish it were otherwise, it appears increasingly this winter this option is available to more people. :LOL:

Whiskadoodle, thanks for reminding me that I have a freezer out my front door! And out my back door. And out my garage door. And out all of my windows.

Hmmm. I think I'm gonna clean out the freezer tomorrow. If anyone sees a whole bunch of meat and containers of soup outside of my house, please move on. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Milk was on sale at Walgreen's...I had two gallons outside...I stash them under a garbage bag of paper trash.

It's supposed to get to 40° next week. Of course. Milk might be ok outside.

I was really just commenting on my outdoor storage in the winter. I didn't have it last year...

Back
Top Bottom