Red beans & rice question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrantsKat

Executive Chef
Afternoon all!!
I 've searched the threads here for a red beans and rice recipe and found a few that recommend using a ham bone as a base. I have a leftover smoked ham bone that I want to use....heres my dilemma....
when I use a smoked ham bone to make black-eyed peas, the smokiness is overwhelming and Im not fond of it being so strong. If I use the bone for the red beans & rice will the same thing happen?
Any suggestions and/or recipes will be appreciated!:)

You might try this. Remove the ham bone before the beans are done.
Let your taste be your guide as to how long to leave it in. Could be it would only need 10 -15 minutes to get the amount of flavor you want. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Miss Kathe....You might try this...Make a stock out of the ham bone. Add to.. 2 quarts of water more or less...some onion, pepper, celery, garlic, salt & pepper, just the basics, plus the ham bone...cover and simmer for 30 minutes...taste...If you like it....take the ham bone out, and then add your beans, and simmer till done.
Remove any ham from the bone, and reserve. Add to the beans the last 5 or 10 minutes....If there is a sausage you like, you may add it as well.

Enjoy!

Thank you for your suggestions!! I think I will try your idea Unce Bob:)

It is a TNT method, for me anyway. It will give you a nice ham flavored stock/broth to cook your beans in. You may add addtional seasoning to taste too! I like a bay leaf or two, and garlic cooked with the beans, and some fresh thyme toward the end. Also chopped green onion & parsley just before serving...

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom