"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #41
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,131
Check the craft store for paper punches. There will be some smileys. Use it on nori paper to decorate or write messages in the bento box. If you see a kid eat a rice ball first by plucking out its smiley eyeballs, call the Principal. Hopefully, it'll just be a note of concern.
__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #42
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Check the craft store for paper punches. There will be some smileys. Use it on nori paper to decorate or write messages in the bento box. If you see a kid eat a rice ball first by plucking out its smiley eyeballs, call the Principal. Hopefully, it'll just be a note of concern.
Good idea...I wonder if they have any anime paper punches.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #43
Head Chef
 
spork's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Landlocked in Southwest U.S.
Posts: 1,131
The science is still out, I think it's probably bunk, but seaweed is said to contain a pigment that burns fat the way bears do while hibernating.
__________________
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #44
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
The science is still out, I think it's probably bunk, but seaweed is said to contain a pigment that burns fat the way bears do while hibernating.
It looks like I will be increasing my seaweed intake...just to see, of course!

I really do love the nori, we will find out this weekend about the Kombu. I'm going to make some Dashi.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #45
Cook
 
potsnpanties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 98
I can handle nori when I'm in the mood for sushi maki and the like, but can't stand wakame (I always have my miso without wakame pieces). Unfortunately I don't live in the best area for Asian foodstores outside of Indian grocery stores, so Kombu and bonito flakes are out - I usually make my dashi with shiitake mushrooms and some other things. Works quite well!
__________________
There's only two things in the world I need to ensure appropriate survival in today's society: Pots and panties... and cupcakes. Probably need some cupcakes.
potsnpanties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #46
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Was it a good note?
Something about a scuffle on the playground.
__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #47
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Something about a scuffle on the playground.
That boy shouldn't have tried to swipe her Clementine! Glad she decked him.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #48
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
I can handle nori when I'm in the mood for sushi maki and the like, but can't stand wakame (I always have my miso without wakame pieces). Unfortunately I don't live in the best area for Asian foodstores outside of Indian grocery stores, so Kombu and bonito flakes are out - I usually make my dashi with shiitake mushrooms and some other things. Works quite well!
I'll have to head to Spokane (Seattle) or Denver for a good selection. Dad offered to take me to the Oriental store in Denver the next time I visit. Luckily, my little Whole Foods knock off store has a little of most things.

I haven't tried wakame, yet. I'll be making Dashi with kombu this weekend. If not, I'll switch to shitake.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'll have to head to Spokane (Seattle) or Denver for a good selection. Dad offered to take me to the Oriental store in Denver the next time I visit. Luckily, my little Whole Foods knock off store has a little of most things.

I haven't tried wakame, yet. I'll be making Dashi with kombu this weekend. If not, I'll switch to shitake.
I misread shitake.
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #50
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That boy shouldn't have tried to swipe her Clementine! Glad she decked him.
Had to do it! He made fun of Hello Kitty.
__________________


~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #51
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
Had to do it! He made fun of Hello Kitty.
He better be careful, I'll send Kuromi after him.

__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #52
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
Yes, I use 2 Bento Boxes in place of a picnic basket for an intimate lunch.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #53
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
He better be careful, I'll send Kuromi after him.

SO cute. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Yes, I use 2 Bento Boxes in place of a picnic basket for an intimate lunch.

What are your favorite fillings for them??
__________________


~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #54
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
SO cute. :)
I am all set for my Nutrition Class on Monday, Hello Kitty socks, water bottle, notebook and pen. I should have gotten the little Bento box and made myself a snack to take with me, I'll be there from 9 am-1 pm, maybe later....there is a Mended Hearts meeting, also...and they are making Valentines for the patients on the cardio floor!

I might make sweet omelette with strawberry, or a regular omelet with some anchovie and wasabi, rolled and cut like sushi.

Tomorrow morning is the Heart Expo, I'll be attending that, there are several lectures I want to hear.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #55
Executive Chef
 
Selkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,796
I fill them with single bite items - and usually some sort o sauce in the center compartment (mine is a 5-compartment box.) I used a piece of elastic with snaps to secure it, and added a tight loop to hold a pair of chop sticks against the lid.

Lunch items can include nearly anything as long as it's cut down to bite size -

Salad, chicken nuggets, diced deli-made spring rolls, diced tomatoes with dressing, fresh fruit, diced roast beef, chilled roasted vegetables (mushrooms, eggplant, celery, cucumber) with an Asian vinaigrette, Italian seasoned croutons - homemade, mini Ritz crackers w/peanut butter.

I try to have fun as well as do something of a theme that's not always Asian.
__________________
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #56
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I fill them with single bite items - and usually some sort o sauce in the center compartment (mine is a 5-compartment box.) I used a piece of elastic with snaps to secure it, and added a tight loop to hold a pair of chop sticks against the lid.

Lunch items can include nearly anything as long as it's cut down to bite size -

Salad, chicken nuggets, diced deli-made spring rolls, diced tomatoes with dressing, fresh fruit, diced roast beef, chilled roasted vegetables (mushrooms, eggplant, celery, cucumber) with an Asian vinaigrette, Italian seasoned croutons - homemade, mini Ritz crackers w/peanut butter.

I try to have fun as well as do something of a theme that's not always Asian.
Sounds good, I am sure I will end up with alot more bite size meals than I do with traditional bento meals. But I am going to try! I plan a steamed asparagus sushi for this weekend, using salad greens as a wrap.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #57
Cupcake
 
Kathleen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 3,146
Good ideas, Selkie.

PF, I was miffy at lunch today. Not being in the office meant that I was gifted with marginal sandwiches and chips.

The small dessert bites were Bento-worthy. Tiny and satisfying. Asparagus sushi wraps sound great!
__________________


~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #58
Cook
 
potsnpanties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I misread shitake.
Shiitake mushrooms: Making the Western World double-take more than the creation of Spotted Dick
__________________
There's only two things in the world I need to ensure appropriate survival in today's society: Pots and panties... and cupcakes. Probably need some cupcakes.
potsnpanties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #59
Cook
 
potsnpanties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'll have to head to Spokane (Seattle) or Denver for a good selection. Dad offered to take me to the Oriental store in Denver the next time I visit. Luckily, my little Whole Foods knock off store has a little of most things.

I haven't tried wakame, yet. I'll be making Dashi with kombu this weekend. If not, I'll switch to shitake.
For me I'd have to take a good 40-minute drive to the nearest Asian grocery store (which is questionable for stock and price), so I do with what I can get from mass chain supermarkets. I'm yet to try efooddepot mainly due to postage cost considerations but they have a huge selection of items. There's always eBay too (but again, postage costs always must be considered).

If you get Kombu but can't get any Bonito Flakes, I can give you Hideo Dekura's shiitake dashi recipe, it's very simple but a good base!


Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
He better be careful, I'll send Kuromi after him.

You posted my absolute most favoritest favorite Sanrio character ever Poor Kuromi-chan, always getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop
__________________
There's only two things in the world I need to ensure appropriate survival in today's society: Pots and panties... and cupcakes. Probably need some cupcakes.
potsnpanties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
For me I'd have to take a good 40-minute drive to the nearest Asian grocery store (which is questionable for stock and price), so I do with what I can get from mass chain supermarkets. I'm yet to try efooddepot mainly due to postage cost considerations but they have a huge selection of items. There's always eBay too (but again, postage costs always must be considered).

If you get Kombu but can't get any Bonito Flakes, I can give you Hideo Dekura's shiitake dashi recipe, it's very simple but a good base!

You posted my absolute most favoritest favorite Sanrio character ever Poor Kuromi-chan, always getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop
LOL! Spokane is at least 3.5 hours away and Seattle is about 12...Denver is 18 hours, if you don't stop for food or rest stops.

I managed to get the last package of Bonito at The Good Food Store. So, I'll have some Dashi, no problem. Actually, I think I have everything except my real Bento box. Even my Bento cookbook showed up tonight.

Kuromi is so Kawaii!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.