Hummus Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make mine in a food processor. 1 can of chickpeas with half their liquid (cuts the amount of oil needed) 1 tbsp tahini.salt and pepper and 1/2 tsp of granulated garlic (I like better than fresh for this).Process and add olive oil until you get the consistancy your looking for. My wife and daughter like some lemon juice blended in theirs.

The way that I like to make it is a bit of work and takes some time. I use dried beans not the canned ones. I like to cook them in the crock pot for about 24 hours. I keep adding water as it water boils off. If you do the the water will get very thick when you put it in the fridge and give you beans creamy beans.

Note save the water.

I drain the beans let them dry a bit then blend them.

Then I take some of the water the beans were cooked in, add tahini, leamon juice and garlic. Then I use my stick blender to make an emulsion. The emulsion gets mixed into the blended beans. Put into the fridge for a few hours before eating.

Here's my version. Hummus is something that you can play with a lot to get what you want.​

Hummus

16 Oz Canned Garbanzo Beans​

3-4 Tb Tahini
1 Cl Garlic, cut up or crushed
½ Ea Lemon Juice
Salt, to taste
2-3 Tb Olive Oil
2-3 Tb Water

Hummus varies greatly from cook to cook. The quantities above are guidelines. This recipe should be adjusted to your taste. More or less of any of the ingredients is acceptable.

Place all the ingredients except the water into the bowl of a food processor and process until fairly smooth and fully blended.

Add water to obtain the desired thickness and process again until smooth.

Adjust salt and lemon to taste.

NOTE: Add a dozen Kalamata olives (pitted) and replace the water with the liquid from the olive jar and you have a delicious Kalamata olive hummus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a recipe to share so we know what you're doing?

-Damien

Here is the recipe I use, please "tweek" it if you can.

HUMMUS – GALE’S

2 CANS CHICK PEAS (Garbonzo beans) reserve liquid
3 CLOVES GARLIC FINELY CHOPPED
2 T. SESAME OIL 0R TAHINI (SESAME PASTE)
1/8 c. EVOO
1 t. LAWREY’S
S & P TO TASTE

PUT PEAS AND GARLIC IN FOOD PROCESSOR, PROCESS TILL SMOOTH, ADD SESAME OIL AND EVOO, PROCESS, ADD S & P AND LAWREY’S. PROCESS APPROXIMATELY 4-5 MINUTES UNTIL VERY SMOOTH ADDING CHICK PEA LIQUID AS NEEDED TO THIN OUT.
Thanks for your time, I am new to this forum and am so happy for all your help and responses.

Thanks again.;)

The way that I like to make it is a bit of work and takes some time. I use dried beans not the canned ones. I like to cook them in the crock pot for about 24 hours. I keep adding water as it water boils off. If you do the the water will get very thick when you put it in the fridge and give you beans creamy beans.

Note save the water.

I drain the beans let them dry a bit then blend them.

Then I take some of the water the beans were cooked in, add tahini, leamon juice and garlic. Then I use my stick blender to make an emulsion. The emulsion gets mixed into the blended beans. Put into the fridge for a few hours before eating.

I can handle the extra work for good results, this looks like the "ticket" I was looking for, I can't wait to try it. Thank you for taking time out to help me.

Welcome to the forum Princess..

Out of curiosity, how big is your food processor?

Flavor wise, I'd consider lemon juice along with roasted red bell pepper, olives or maybe even some roasted tomato instead of the lawerys and salt and pepper...

-Damien

Welcome to the forum Princess..

Out of curiosity, how big is your food processor?

Flavor wise, I'd consider lemon juice along with roasted red bell pepper, olives or maybe even some roasted tomato instead of the lawerys and salt and pepper...

-Damien

I am fortunate to have been given a Cuisinart, which is a Cadillac of food processors. I have never been able to afford a good one like I have now, so I believe I am good there. However, another member advise using a "boat motor". What do you think?

I like the idea of using roasted red bell peppers (love them) and roasted tomatoes, I think that will give it a super flavor. Thanks for everything.

Here's my version. Hummus is something that you can play with a lot to get what you want.​

Hummus

16 Oz Canned Garbanzo Beans​

3-4 Tb Tahini
1 Cl Garlic, cut up or crushed
½ Ea Lemon Juice
Salt, to taste
2-3 Tb Olive Oil
2-3 Tb Water

Hummus varies greatly from cook to cook. The quantities above are guidelines. This recipe should be adjusted to your taste. More or less of any of the ingredients is acceptable.

Place all the ingredients except the water into the bowl of a food processor and process until fairly smooth and fully blended.

Add water to obtain the desired thickness and process again until smooth.

Adjust salt and lemon to taste.

NOTE: Add a dozen Kalamata olives (pitted) and replace the water with the liquid from the olive jar and you have a delicious Kalamata olive hummus.

What a great recipe, and what a cool idea (yes I still use cool) with the olives. Gotta try that.

I am fortunate to have been given a Cuisinart, which is a Cadillac of food processors. I have never been able to afford a good one like I have now, so I believe I am good there. However, another member advise using a "boat motor". What do you think?

I like the idea of using roasted red bell peppers (love them) and roasted tomatoes, I think that will give it a super flavor. Thanks for everything.
Can't go wrong with a higher horsepower outboard motor.. ;)

If you do use salt, consider a Kosher salt or a sea salt. It imparts a totally different, cleaner flavor than iodized salt.

-Damien

Tax I use Kalamata evoo to make my hummus, I then chop some cooked chick peas and toast the with pine nuts as a sprinkle.
Red hummus, roast peel and de-seed red peppers and stick them in the blender.

lemon juice, pinch of cumin and cayenne and even a bit of mint will perk up dull hummus.How you season it really depends on personal taste and regional custom. good olive oil and smoked paprika will also make a dish blossom.

Can't go wrong with a higher horsepower outboard motor.. ;)

If you do use salt, consider a Kosher salt or a sea salt. It imparts a totally different, cleaner flavor than iodized salt.

-Damien

Damien,

Help again, I am not a salt connoisseur at all, as a matter of fact, if you eat my food, it lacks salt. You have to add your own. What is the difference in the taste of Kosher and Sea salt. Is one stronger than the other? Should I off my iodized salt from my pantry?:ermm:

Tax I use Kalamata evoo to make my hummus, I then chop some cooked chick peas and toast the with pine nuts as a sprinkle.
Red hummus, roast peel and de-seed red peppers and stick them in the blender.

You obviously know alot about cooking. Do you make you own Kalamata evoo or can it be purchased?
I definately have to try this roasted red pepper Hummus.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

lemon juice, pinch of cumin and cayenne and even a bit of mint will perk up dull hummus.How you season it really depends on personal taste and regional custom. good olive oil and smoked paprika will also make a dish blossom.

Wow is that interesting, I will be doing a lot of experimenting today. Can't wait to try all these excellent suggestions.
What a great forum.;)

Damien,

Help again, I am not a salt connoisseur at all, as a matter of fact, if you eat my food, it lacks salt. You have to add your own. What is the difference in the taste of Kosher and Sea salt. Is one stronger than the other? Should I off my iodized salt from my pantry?:ermm:

Salt isn't very expensive. Buy some of each and do some taste testing.

Iodine was put into salt to help prevent goiter (bulge in the neck indicating thyroid problems). If you decide that the other kinds of salt are noticeably better tasting, don't get rid of it just yet. Make sure you know that you (and other people who eat your cooking) are getting enough iodine some other way, e.g., multivitamins (but read the label).

Salt isn't very expensive. Buy some of each and do some taste testing.

Iodine was put into salt to help prevent goiter (bulge in the neck indicating thyroid problems). If you decide that the other kinds of salt are noticeably better tasting, don't get rid of it just yet. Make sure you know that you (and other people who eat your cooking) are getting enough iodine some other way, e.g., multivitamins (but read the label).

Great idea, and great information about salt.

Thanks so much!!;)

Back
Top Bottom