NOT Toad in the Hole... Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting name your family gives what we term 'eggy toast', Claire. But 'toad in the hole', it ain't! It has to have yorkshire pudding and sausages - or the English dish is not authentic!

Claire, where we grew up toad in the hole was exactly that, an egg cooked in the center of a piece of bread.

Have never had the UK version, but am thinking about trying it. It sounds interesting.

As far as Yorkshire pud goes, I have a feeling too many people think it is difficult.

It is only a simple batter, like one would make for crepes, tossed into very hot muffin tins with a bit of hot, melted beef fat on the bottom.

Nothing could be simpler.

Am not a baking person, but even I can make this.

I think it is more the reputation that Yorkies can be a bit temperamental. An opening of the oven door at an inopportune time can cause instant deflation.

In my household there is a difference between Yorkshire Pud served with roast beef and the pud used for Toad in the Hole. Our YP for beef uses separated eggs, and the egg whites are beaten stiff and folded in.

For Toad in the Hole batter, the eggs are not separated.

Incidentally, Toad in the Hole should use only English pork-sausages (it is better not to use beef bangers).
Here is the basic recipe for English pork Bangers:
  • 2 ½ lb. boneless lean pork shoulder or loin cut in cubes
  • 1 lb. fresh pork fat in cubes
  • 1 ½ cup fresh bread crumbs
  • 1 ¼ cup chicken broth
  • 3 ½ teaspoon white pepper
Grind pork and fat together using meat grinder.
Mix in the chicken broth.
Grind again.
Stuff the mixture into sausage casings and tie in 4-5 inch lengths. (This mixture will be too fine to form into patties.)

Back
Top Bottom