Som Tam Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tambalai

Assistant Cook
Hi I am Khwanjai

I have somtam recipe for you all end expatgirl special she like spicy but be careful, not to much chilli or you not taste evryting, it still spicy with this recipe

I copy from my website my huband write recipe english for me

Papaya Salad

(Som-Tam)

Ingredients:

(Salad for 2)
1 Small Unripe Papaya
2 Long Beans (or green,runner beans etc)
3 Thai Chillies
2 Cloves Garlic (largish)
3 Small Tomatoes
1 Fresh Lime
1 tbs Palm Sugar (demarara sugar is OK)
1 1/2 tbs Fish Sauce
2 tbs Toasted Peanuts
2 tbs Dried Shrimps or Small Prawns

Preparation:

Toast you peanuts, dry, brown skinned, unsalted peanuts into a wok and heat, keep agitating and stirring until they start to go brown and spotty. Leave to cool and then rub off the skins

Peel papaya and rinse off well in clean water before chopping and slicing, important.

See video for how to chop and slice You'll need a good large hand full when shredded.
(you won't use it all but it will freeze once sliced and bagged)

Cut long beans about 1" lengths

You will need a pestle and mortar, it's the only way or, you can use a sturdy pyrex bowl or jug and a rolling pin as alternative)

Using a blender is a NO NO!! (it's about texture as much as taste)

Making the Salad:

First: Take the Thai chillies and garlic put in the mortar together and pound about 20-25 times, the garlic will turn pink and chillies will separate from skin.

Cut into thirds and add the tomatoes, 1/2 the lime juice, you can chuck in the lime shell as well if you like it a bit more bitter/zesty, we don't, but we often buy it that way.

Then add the fish sauce, palm sugar, dried shrimps and next only 1 tbs of toasted peanuts (save half of the peanuts for the end)

Pound and mix everything together using a large spoon or spatula for turning as you pound, the idea is to release all the juices and mix them up, it takes less than a minute

Last: Add the chopped papaya and long beans and using the same method, pound and mix about 15 times so papaya takes on the juices taste test for flavour (adjust to your liking)

Remove and serve in a dish and top off with the remaining peanuts.

Serving Suggestions

Serve with prawn crackers is our favourite, a glass of iced water or if you prefer, a cold beer. If you're really hungry try it as a side salad with our own Authentic Pad Thai, you'll love it.
© 2008 thairecipevideos

Last edited by a moderator:
it seems fatastic, thank for posting...i think i'll wait untill i'll be in thai because i think i can't find some ingredients (that kind of papaya first, fish souce and dried prawn then).
;)

Back
Top Bottom