What do Ostrich Eggs taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mudbug said:
Shunka, that's gotta be somebody with a lotta patience and a very sharp knife.
I think I remember reading once that they use a laser cutter. I certainly do not have the patience to do that! They sure are beautiful!

:) Barbara

I knew some friends that used to do similar (they did not make the ones I posted); they used tiny drills and a Dremel type tool. The pics before were sent by a friend over 3 years ago and I thought they were so beautiful that I have kept them on my computer.

thanks alot people... wow those artisticly carved ostrich eggs are beautiful :WOW:

duck and turkey eggs definitely taste better than chicken eggs (i find white eggs too soft and bland).

I will try it when there are more people in my family seeing that it taste no different than chicken eggs i am not that eager to try it now, but i will try it just for the sake in trying

Last edited:
I was wondering where I might buy turkey eggs. I am in the New York City area. Any ideas?

Just like chicken eggs, sort of!

I just returned from my daughter's wedding which took place at the Figueroa Mountain Farmhouse resort in Los Olivos, CA, where they have several ostriches and encourage eating the eggs. I am a fairly avid foodie and have managed to travel most of the world (thanks to the US Navy & 13 years in international banking), but have never tried an ostrich egg. Needless to say, I was determined to take advantage of this situation; I got some instructions from the Farm's caretaker and proceeded. First of all, they're huge - one ostrich egg is probably two dozen chicken eggs; second, you need to chip the end off with a hammer & screwdriver and it takes a knife to cut through the membrane; third, the "white" is far more viscous than a chicken egg and it takes some mighty shaking to get the whole lot out of the egg; finally, because the whit is so thick, it must be beaten far longer than regular eggs. The first morning I prepared an egg in a very normal manner: beat the egg with milk and scrambled it in butter with some added herbs. Now, since I had never tried an ostrich egg and it sounds somewhat exotic, I expected (and hoped) it would taste "exotic" (whatever that means). I was disappointed - it tasted like bland scrambled eggs ("EggBeaters" comes to mind). The next day, I tried another egg with sauteed peppers & onions and it was much better; it tasted like "EggBeaters' with peppers & onions, but at least it tasted.
If you need to feed an army, an ostrich egg might be an answer - but doctor it up!
Mario

The carvings and pictures are beautiful!! DW heard of one guy that was a dentist and he used his dentist tools to make the carvings.
I might have the patiences to make pictures, but not to carve!! My daughter is a great artist, maybe I will see if I can somehow get a hold of a couple and have her decorate them up for Mothers Day.

I agree about goose and even duck eggs tasting a bit richer. Although as some have already pointed out, duck and goose eggs do seem a bit more rubbery (is there such a word? lol) if you fry them as you would a hen's egg. I do remember the first time we had turkey eggs, my Mom made a huge batch of pancakes and they were so very rich!!!!
I realize I am posting to an old thread. But eggs are the perfect protein, so they say, so . . .

I have tried chicken, duck, turkey and goose eggs. I have arranged them in the order in which I would 'qualify' the "flavor". My favorite is duck eggs and if I could find them regularly, they would replace chicken eggs for my two centvos.:D

Last edited:
ostrich omlette

An ostrich egg has more albumin/yolk ratio and for proper flavor add three chicken yolks to the ostrich egg. The taste is as a chicken omlette. I whip the egg, add to a liberally buttered saute pan, curl , ( alton brown technique) and before turning add diced ham , green onions, cheese and mushrooms with salt ,pepper, and canadian steak seasoning; then fold , cook further, turn to finish cooking. If a very large omlette microwave for 3-5 minutes to finish cooking. Do not over-microwave or it will be rubbery.
I prepare the above for eight . My family loves the production and unique experience. I cut a hole in the small end of the egg , aprx 1.5cm., with a diamond tip dremel . Keep the area of cutting wet to prevent shell dust . Remove the egg with a skewer or chopstick and after cleaning the empty shell present to a kid. I paid $10.00 plus shipping , The fun is worth the cost. bon apetit:chef:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom