Bread made on Martha Stewart today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
Did anyone see the bread made on Martha Stewart today? I wondered how it compared to the NY Times recipe. They look a lot alike, but I forgot how I logged in to NY Times' site so can't compare. You can see the recipe at her site.

Yes, I did see it today. I compared that one with the NY Times recipe and the only difference I see is that the Times recipe uses 1 5/8 cup of water and today's uses 1 1/2 cups of water. Otherwise it looks the same, unless I've misssed something. I found the Times site right here under the bread forum.

I think I'm going to try it. I'll let you know...

lyndalou said:
the only difference I see is that the Times recipe uses 1 5/8 cup of water and today's uses 1 1/2 cups of water.
Actually the video of the NY Times bread recipe calls for 1.5 cups of water even though the printed version called for 1 5/8.

I have tried both. I found that 500 works best for me. When I use 500 then I can skip the last step where you remove the lid and let it brown. Mine is perfectly browned after 30 minutes in the covered pot.

And I preheat at 500* and reduce it to 450* for the baking part. I have only one time used the extra 15 minutes uncovered to finish. Mine is done fine in the 30 minutes.

FYI, it is the same bread. This is the credit at the bottom of the recipe posted on Martha's website: Recipe courtesy of Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery, and New York Times
spacer.gif

I did know that the recipe on Martha's website was from the same guy. He did it on her show with her.

Thanks for the hints re temperature. Can't wait to try it.

Yes ... it is the New York Times Bread our Gretchen introduced on DC.
And I have made the bread and the 1-1/2 cup water and at 450 oven works best for me. And just 30 minutes bake.Our Gretchen is ahead of Martha...Thanks again Gretchen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom