NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gretchen said:
Half Baked said:
There just isn't enough "structure"--or yeast!-- to do that

I am still perplexed at how it comes out so well without being kneaded. How is there any structure at all?

I've made bread almost every weekend for 2 months now (a wee little obsession of the moment). Have read about 50 pages of Shirley Corriher's Cookwise on bread/flour/gluten/water/salt/yeast, yada yada yada. From what I've read, this doesn't seem possible.

I will try this one this weekend. But still.... HOW does this work?

You need to buy the magic flour Jenny :LOL:

This bread looks amazing. I can't wait until I have some time to try it.

This bread is sooooo good. I've only allowed myself one (big :pig: ) slice before dinner. I kept looking at the dough and looking, when I tried to move it, it was so sticky - at that point I had my doubts.

I love the crust, I love bread, I love how easy it is. This bread will be the one that all others have to meet the standards of....:)

I'm going to have to buy a bowl, pot and some linen towels just for making the bread because it sure takes alot of time and the towels definately have to be washed. Next time I'm going to try spraying pam on plastic and give it a try.

OK I have a dumb question...how can I tell the difference between cotton and terry cloth and what will happen if I use the wrong towel?

It stuck so much to my linen towels that I can't imagine cotton being better at all. If you use terry cloth, you'll never get the bread off of it. This dough is barely goo...lol

A reg cotten towel is flat, like a dish towel.

Terry cloth is nubby. Cotton is like a flour sack. The terry cloth may leave nubby deposits on the bread but cover with enough butter and they won't be noticeable!!! :mrgreen: That's my guess anyway - no cotton police will show up at your house - I don't think!!!

I suggest you rub so much flour into that towel that it fills every little thread and has a flat flour bottom.

Last edited:
Debbie said:
I wonder if this recipe could be cut in half.. because the biggest heavy pot, I have is a 4 quart pyrex???

Mine barely rose while baking. A 4 qt would be great. I may use that next time myself.

GB,
you put that bread on terry cloth and you're gonna have fuzzy bread:LOL:
kadesma

Half Baked said:
This bread is sooooo good. I've only allowed myself one (big :pig: ) slice before dinner. I kept looking at the dough and looking, when I tried to move it, it was so sticky - at that point I had my doubts.

I love the crust, I love bread, I love how easy it is. This bread will be the one that all others have to meet the standards of....:)

I'm going to have to buy a bowl, pot and some linen towels just for making the bread because it sure takes alot of time and the towels definately have to be washed. Next time I'm going to try spraying pam on plastic and give it a try.
Jan,
I always pam my plastic wrap and even the bowl nothing sticks to it. My foccacia dough is always sticky and I even pam my hands or else keep dunking them in warm water to keep the dough from attaching itself to me.

kadesma:)

Debbie, what Half Baked said. This loaf is only about 6-7" across and 3-4" high. On other boards people have baked it in Corningware dutch "ovens"--I have one--it is about 4"deep.
GB, I used cornmeal. No sticking at all.
The dough is really not terribly sticky on the surface once you have turned it out on a floured surface and turned it a couple of times. Mine is quite floury.
Any smooth kitchen towel is fine. Basically you could use parchment probably.
As for structure, the sponge provides it. And there is a bit of oven spring from the 2 hour last rise. People who have use soft flour (either by mistake or whatever) got FLAT loaves. At least AP flour or bread flour. Lots are using whole wheat, rye, etc. combos with it too.

Maybe I had too much water in it because mine was very sticky. I'll be more exact next time.

btw, Mr HB and Mr HB's dad ate almost the whole thing. :LOL:

I should begin another one tonight but I've had too long a day and am way too tired.

I love cornmeal and will definately use that next time.

Half Baked said:
Maybe I had too much water in it because mine was very sticky. I'll be more exact next time.

btw, Mr HB and Mr HB's dad ate almost the whole thing. :LOL:

I should begin another one tonight but I've had too long a day and am way too tired.

I love cornmeal and will definately use that next time.

When you turn it out you generously flour the board and then the top of the dough/sponge. This is the time to get it to a not so sticky consistency. Incorporate enough flour by turning it back on itself so it can be formed into a kind of ball--a bit of a "flat" one, but it will hold its shape. It isn't very sticky at that point.

Thanks bullseye. So how would I do that with this recipe (can you tell I never bake)?

Would I just replace the water part with warm water (what is the right temp to proof yeast) and let it sit for about 15 minutes and then combine everything?

Back
Top Bottom