Stale bread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
Even though I make one pound loaves of bread, the last of the loaf always tends to get a bit stale. I usually resusciate it with 10 seconds in the micro, but it tends to pick up moisture this way. Anybody got a better way?

What about freezing half the loaf when you make it? That way you can pull it out whenever you need it rather than racing to finish a whole loaf before it goes stale.

PA Baker said:
What about freezing half the loaf when you make it? That way you can pull it out whenever you need it rather than racing to finish a whole loaf before it goes stale.
I do put part in the freezer. Even though I take out small quantities, it still gets, not grossly stale, but certainly not fresh. I tried taking out on an "as needed" basis, but defrosting bread when you want a quick sammie late at night doesn't cut it either. BTW, you convinced me to get the CI Baking book.

Otter said:
PA Baker said:
I do put part in the freezer. Even though I take out small quantities, it still gets, not grossly stale, but certainly not fresh. I tried taking out on an "as needed" basis, but defrosting bread when you want a quick sammie late at night doesn't cut it either. BTW, you convinced me to get the CI Baking book.

What do you think of it so far? It's such a tome--I wish I had more time to sit and read it than I do (and try all the recipies!). Even if I don't use it a lot, I'm glad I have it in my collection.

How's your weather? I heard MN got hit with some nasty wind storms overnight.

I just ordered the book a few days ago, and haven't received it yet. Yesterday it was snowing with a 30+mph wind. My parents live across the street, and we had to go and get them in the Jeep for Sunday dinner. When I got up this morning it was 3 below, but it is supposed to warm up again later this week.

If you have stale bread that cannot be brought back to life, don't forget that croutons are made of stale bread and French toast turns out great when using the stale stuff!

I'm tellin ya, Otter - bread pudding. Nothing finer IMO, in spite of my stupid family who won't eat it after the first outing from the oven.

mudbug said:
I'm tellin ya, Otter - bread pudding. Nothing finer IMO, in spite of my stupid family who won't eat it after the first outing from the oven.
I've got the other bases covered (french toast, toast, etc.), but I have never done the bread pudding thing - got a good recipe for me?

here's Mom's recipe:

Heat 2 cups milk to scalding

Pour over 4 cups coarse bread crumbs (this is where your stale bread comes in - note that the bread should be COARSE, i.e., torn up pieces rather than "crumbs")

Cool and add:
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins (chopped up apple bits are good, too)
1 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg

Pour into buttered casserole. Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes. Makes six servings.

crewsk, I hope you like it. Nobobdy here except me does after the first time. I can even eat it cold with some milk on it for breakfast - but that's probably an acquired taste.

If I don't , I know my mom will. She loves bread pudding. Who knows, my kids & hubby may even like it. It's more of a texture thing than a taste thing for me though. The reason that I don't like it may be because I've only ever had it room temp or cold.

mudbug said:
crewsk, I hope you like it. Nobobdy here except me does after the first time. I can even eat it cold with some milk on it for breakfast - but that's probably an acquired taste.

I actually think that sounds good!

Let me tempt you a little more, crewsk. Want a nice whiskey sauce to go over your HOT bread pudding? (if you say "yes", please give me time to find the recipe I used to knock out people at a Christmas party a few years ago....)

OK, OK! Remind me tomorrow (hafta go start dinner in a few).

As I remember, it's mostly egg yolks and sugar cooked over a double boiler, with some bourbon thrown in. I will try to be more specific tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom