Cast Iron - Interstitial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shellac is actually an EDIBLE insect secretion - so not dangerous :blink:

I have just been wondering how these FF companies get away with extremely deceptive photos

Not sure why you're stuck on fast food. It's something that's done in virtually all advertising. Almost everything is doctored or dressed up or made up to make it appear more visually appealing than it ever seems to look in real life.

Advertising can be partially defined as presenting a product with just enough appearance of reality to pass the test of legality.

It's just that bus stops etc are totally DOMINATED by Bk, Mc and Subway and their PHONY ads. I don't recall ever seeing a risotto or paella ad in 'public' - phony or not!!

Last edited:
Ad agencies are sometimes paid millions to come up with ads to sell burgers.
The burger in this ad looks good too. :yum:

Attachments

• CARLS_JR.jpg
    CARLS_JR.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 104
I'm quite sure there are millions involved in the payoff - but that doesn't tell why consumers - or consumer agencies - have not dragged their butts into court - NO ONE has EVER had a product from BK, Mc or Subway that EVER looked anywhere NEAR the Ad pics.

I'm quite sure there are millions involved in the payoff - but that doesn't tell why consumers - or consumer agencies - have not dragged their butts into court - NO ONE has EVER had a product from BK, Mc or Subway that EVER looked anywhere NEAR the Ad pics.

Because the picture is still of a Whopper, or a Big Mac, or whatever. It still shows the same mix of meat, lettuce, tomato, etc., so there is really nothing all that false about it. Any lawsuit would be thrown out as frivolous, and the plaintiff would be charged with court costs at the very least. In some states he could actually be fined for wasting the court's time.

Last edited:
We're terribly off-topic - but what the hell:ROFLMAO:

I believe NO ONE has EVER gotten a product that looks like the pictures. Just showing the contents which show the same ingredients isn't really relevant.

It's just plain intentional deception.

And also false - a friend of mine and I took pics of delivered BicMacs and from a tram stop placard - and actually measured the size of the patties using the bun size as a reference point. There was NO WAY the purchased burger had the same amount of meat as the pic - far from it.

We weren't interested in litigation - but I would not be as dismissive as you - the 'hot coffee' suit turned out to be worth quite much - and hardly frivolous.

Last edited:
Not meant as analogy - just as a comment as to what the 'public' thinks of as 'frivolous.'

The main point is that these companies are out-and-out deliberately cheating - and some one taking the time to comparing pics with the crap one gets served will have a case - and will be fortified with some measurements of meat in the pics with the amount in reality (since that's the main item for which it is sold - it will hardly be 'frivolous.')

Not meant as analogy - just as a comment as to what the 'public' thinks of as 'frivolous.'

The main point is that these companies are out-and-out deliberately cheating - and some one taking the time to comparing pics with the crap one gets served will have a case - and will be fortified with some measurements of meat in the pics with the amount in reality (since that's the main item for which it is sold - it will hardly be 'frivolous.')

That case did result in the tightening of the requirements for what constitutes a legitimate suit. What the public thinks as frivolous is mostly irrelevant. What counts is what the lawmakers and the courts think, and if there was any validity in your opinion, the courts would be full of those cases.

Surely you don't think that people would just stand by and do nothing if they thought that they had a chance at free money? It would be nice if an attorney would chime in here, but I think you are way off base in your opinion on this. There is no fraud involved. They are advertising a hamburger, and they are selling a hamburger. They are making it look pretty to sell a few more, but that simply isn't a crime - it's just good business. :rolleyes:

We're terribly off-topic - but what the hell:ROFLMAO:

I believe NO ONE has EVER gotten a product that looks like the pictures. Just showing the contents which show the same ingredients isn't really relevant.

It's just plain intentional deception.

And also false - a friend of mine and I took pics of delivered BicMacs and from a tram stop placard - and actually measured the size of the patties using the bun size as a reference point. There was NO WAY the purchased burger had the same amount of meat as the pic - far from it.

We weren't interested in litigation - but I would not be as dismissive as you - the 'hot coffee' suit turned out to be worth quite much - and hardly frivolous.

goodfood, it seems you are really stuck on this.

That's what they do in advertising. Fortunately, many folks are aware of the fine line between doctored up food photography and what to actually expect, especially in this day and age of photo technology.

I wouldn't expect a sign on the side of a bus to truly represent what a burger looks like, and haven't since I became a grown up. :) Just because they don't advertise 'risotto and paella' on public transportation as you mentioned, doesn't mean that they don't go all out on other media to present their dishes in the best light as possible to sell their product.

I see that you're in Finland. That's really interesting to me, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who would like to read about the local fare up there. If you want to start a thread about the food customs up there, the locals faves and daily meals, that would be interesting reading! :chef::)

I have personally started and run a company dealing with electronics, software, specialty food products and thousands of non-fiction books.

And created and spent millions on advertising. I could never DREAM of doing that kind of deceptive advertising. Deception and distortion is only short-term 'good business' - some sell steaks, wine, vodka, condos and phony 'university education' with untruthful 'advertising.' That's not what I believe in.

So please - leave me alone with my 'delusons' and weird ideas of commercial morality. Thanks!

I have personally started and run a company dealing with electronics, software, specialty food products and thousands of non-fiction books.

And created and spent millions on advertising. I could never DREAM of doing that kind of deceptive advertising. Deception and distortion is only short-term 'good business' - some sell steaks, wine, vodka, condos and phony 'university education' with untruthful 'advertising.' That's not what I believe in.

So please - leave me alone with my 'delusons' and weird ideas of commercial morality. Thanks!

LOL. This, plus your post #10, reveals your motives.

This isn't a political forum. If that's what you want, go somewhere else. There are plenty of them out there.

Last edited:
It looks like I've tempted 'know nothings' from the 'Dotard Drumpf' crew - "I don't have to know nuttin." The language also matches.

"goodfood", how about some? You seem really good at insults, but have never cooked anything, that you posted for us to see, or posted a recipe. You've never posted in a dinner thread, that I can find. We've had agenda driven folks here before that didn't cook anything either. This is, after all, DISCUSS COOKING!

I know quite a bit about things that I'm actually INTERESTED in. What is DANx and EANx? Do you know off the top of your head or do you have to look them up? What are the 3 methods currently used to achieve the end result? The bigger question is, do you actually care?

This one is so far off topic it needs to be moved to the Off Topic Forum and out of the Cookware Forum. Continued insults from Old members and New will be dealt with.

Roadfix -

'Particles' you are getting from your grill are just simple ash - burned wood - surely not the best to breathe a lot of - but quite a different story than burned oils which are a lot more complex as they also have been subject to rather intense heat and don't
'fly away.' Burnt oil has produced a number of nasty research reports - and the fact that many tell of disappearing seasoning, the subject is worth paying attention to.

I’m pretty sure they’re not ash. These are caked on food and marinade residues from several previous cooks.

It would be nice if an attorney would chime in here, but I think you are way off base in your opinion on this. There is no fraud involved. They are advertising a hamburger, and they are selling a hamburger. They are making it look pretty to sell a few more, but that simply isn't a crime - it's just good business. :rolleyes:

I'll chime ...

Goodfood is, indeed, wildly off base, in his/her opinion/lamentation/obsession with this.

Back
Top Bottom