Cats on the counter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
My cats have about as much respect for my authority as a blinker has fluid. Unless you have a squirt bottle in your hand. So when I told my cat to get off the counter, he watched calmly as I walked over (sans squirt bottle), pulled out the sprayer hose in the kitchen sink and pointed it right at his face... His calm demeanor lasted for about another 1/10th of a second. HA! Me:1, Cat:0.

Do you have any funny animals in the kitchen stories?

I'm sure I do, but I can't think of any right now!

I had some friends whose cat kept getting on the stove. His tail caught on fire at least twice. You'd think he would have learned from the first time!

:)Barbara

Years ago I had to start keeping my bread on top of the refrigerator as my cat would get up whatever cabinet it was on and tear the bag open and eat it.

i always make charlie get down, when i see him that is. i am sure he is on the counters when i am asleep. i have given up on the dining room table. both he and thomas, think it a great place to snooze. just clean it well before company. works for all of us.

Barbara L said:
I'm sure I do, but I can't think of any right now!

I had some friends whose cat kept getting on the stove. His tail caught on fire at least twice. You'd think he would have learned from the first time!

Omg that poor cat! He's lucky he didn't come out worse! And you would think he would have an unpleasant association with the stove and stop going up there... Was it a gas stove? Maybe he liked the heat from the pilot light?

AnnieDrews said:
Years ago I had to start keeping my bread on top of the refrigerator as my cat would get up whatever cabinet it was on and tear the bag open and eat it.

Lol I have to keep the butter dish in the cupboard or my cat will knock it down and lick the butter. He is a rascal. Never heard of cats liking bread so much tho!

Omg that poor cat! He's lucky he didn't come out worse! And you would think he would have an unpleasant association with the stove and stop going up there... Was it a gas stove? Maybe he liked the heat from the pilot light?...
It was a gas stove. He didn't sleep on the stove or anything. It was just part of his daily walk. :ohmy:

I had one who wouldn't dare do it when I was around to see but in the morning there was often evidence of him having been up there; he left a long gray hair or two where he sat ...

He is also the one who got an ice cube in his water dish whenever someone poured a glass of ice water. If we didn't he'd try to sneak sips out of our glasses that were sitting beside us on the computer desk or coffee table! It was kinda funny trying to watch him stick his fat head into a glass ... until he inevitably knocked them over.

Zereh said:
I had one who wouldn't dare do it when I was around to see but in the morning there was often evidence of him having been up there; he left a long gray hair or two where he sat ...

He is also the one who got an ice cube in his water dish whenever someone poured a glass of ice water. If we didn't he'd try to sneak sips out of our glasses that were sitting beside us on the computer desk or coffee table! It was kinda funny trying to watch him stick his fat head into a glass ... until he inevitably knocked them over.

Ha ha my cat does that too... I put filtered water from the fridge in his dish. He tries to drink out of my water even when I'm sitting right there. Like I said, no respect lol. I can't leave water glasses anywhere overnight, or there will be water all over the floor in the morning :/

now that sounds like thomas. he can't abide a glass of anything on the bedside table. what i can't believe is it took me two years to realize i should have a closed bottle instead. aren't cats interesting creatures?

I have a story but everytime I try to post it fails. Testing, testing.

My son kept feeding the cat expensive little baggies of cat food whenever he felt like it so I had to put it up on the top of an open cupboard. Even so he continued to do it and I became very angry with him. He insisted that he did not do it, the little liar. Well imagine my surprise when I happened into the kitchen one day just in time to see the cat jump up onto the washer then up to the top shelf, extract a baggie from the box of cat food and jump back down again. Man I hate it when I am so wrong. Had to apologize to my son.

joesfolk said:
My son kept feeding the cat expensive little baggies of cat food whenever he felt like it so I had to put it up on the top of an open cupboard. Even so he continued to do it and I became very angry with him. He insisted that he did not do it, the little liar. Well imagine my surprise when I happened into the kitchen one day just in time to see the cat jump up onto the washer then up to the top shelf, extract a baggie from the box of cat food and jump back down again. Man I hate it when I am so wrong. Had to apologize to my son.

Lol! Smart cat!!

One of our cats would pull a dog biscuit out of the bag every day or two and give it to the dog. He was really just getting into the bag to play with the biscuits, but it worked out for the dog! I keep them in the freezer now (the biscuits, not the cat and dog, LOL).

charlie is the goodie king. i have to keep the little bags in a closed drawer. thomas can open drawers but don't think he would help charlie. after i open the goodie bag and give each one some, i have to put the bag into another zip lock bag or he will steal and try to get the goodies out. of course he still has some in his little bowl. he thinks the ones in thomas's bowl are better than his. and the ones still in the bag are even better. he is a mischief maker and a joy.

Where were the empties?

Well the cat is long gone and wasn't much of a funny antics type outside of getting accidentally shut in kitchen cupboards frequently because she thought they were good places to explore, but one of our dogs.... A laundry list of hilarity. Here are just a few -

1) When we first got her at 6 months old (a very big 6 month old because of her breed), she somehow got up onto a barstool set at the kitchen counter and my father found her on top of the counter eating his sandwiches for work. She no longer can jump up like that, but we also have to make sure things are smack bang in the middle of the counter because she'll get up on her hind legs to grab things, as per one of the many examples shown with story #2 -

2) We left a freshly cooked roast chicken on its tray on the stove to rest, my father came to pick me up from work, we get home to find the entire roast gone and the tray on the floor. Both dogs got a glorious feed.

3) She stole a full tub of margarine - a full 1 kilogram tub - ate the lot and promptly threw it all up in the master bedroom.

4) You have to make sure the pantry door is closed, particularly after bones have been thrown out, because she raids the garbage bags. I have caught her many times in the past on her way outside with them, yelled "BUSTED!" at her, she turns and looks with the most "Uh-oh..." look on her face.

And that is just a few of the very many....

potsnpanties said:
Well the cat is long gone and wasn't much of a funny antics type outside of getting accidentally shut in kitchen cupboards frequently because she thought they were good places to explore, but one of our dogs.... A laundry list of hilarity. Here are just a few -

1) When we first got her at 6 months old (a very big 6 month old because of her breed), she somehow got up onto a barstool set at the kitchen counter and my father found her on top of the counter eating his sandwiches for work. She no longer can jump up like that, but we also have to make sure things are smack bang in the middle of the counter because she'll get up on her hind legs to grab things, as per one of the many examples shown with story #2 -

2) We left a freshly cooked roast chicken on its tray on the stove to rest, my father came to pick me up from work, we get home to find the entire roast gone and the tray on the floor. Both dogs got a glorious feed.

3) She stole a full tub of margarine - a full 1 kilogram tub - ate the lot and promptly threw it all up in the master bedroom.

4) You have to make sure the pantry door is closed, particularly after bones have been thrown out, because she raids the garbage bags. I have caught her many times in the past on her way outside with them, yelled "BUSTED!" at her, she turns and looks with the most "Uh-oh..." look on her face.

And that is just a few of the very many....

She sounds like a mischievous handful :) Those are the best kind.

She sounds like a mischievous handful :) Those are the best kind.

She is truly one of a kind (and spoiled rotten. She has a leather armchair all for herself and tried to claim a leather recliner and three-seater sofa as well. Also leather. Mischievous and with very fine champagne taste).

My father's last cat had a few quirks of her own. She loved coffee grounds - either straight from the can or fresh from the coffee brewer. One morning shortly after they got her, she learned what her claws were good for; she managed to jump on the counter, hook her claws under the lid of the coffee container and help herself. Dad went into the kitchen one morning and found the lid on the floor, picked it up and was in the process of putting it back on the can of coffee when he noticed two yellow eyes looking back up at him (the cat was a Burmese, basically the color of coffee) and about keeled over in shock before he realized it was the cat! They learned shortly thereafter to put the coffee in the refrigerator.

She was also a lover of cloth items. Dad never had a good pair of socks thanks to the cat, she would eat them (as well as chewing up the bathmat from their bathroom and Mom's good wool blanket!), and she was the only cat we had that would throw major temper tantrums when she didn't get her way. And heaven forbid you came between her and her daddy. She passed away about 5 years ago, but she lived a happy and well loved life while she was with them.

They now have a new little Burmese, that is as smart as a whip. She's only 4 months old and you can see her working out ways in her eyes on how to jump up on the kitchen counters to explore. She's already jumping and almost making it onto the dining room table, and boy is she fast. Dad's fallen in love with her already. At least he is out of his funk and you can see the tension lines around his eyes are disappearing. She looks as if she is going to be a family cat instead of the one-man cat his previous one was, for which I'm greatful. His last one didn't much like the females of the family, and tolerated my brothers. She was strictly Dad's cat. I won't have to worry about the "claws of death" and having to disinfect the scratches!

Cats = Human security blankets.

Back
Top Bottom