East Coast Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dw went out to get her nails done, and the boy was misbehaving around about that time.

i kept trying to get him to come outside to help me work on the yard, so when I got angry, the earth shook!
it was freakin great timng!

he won't misbehave again for a while, lol.

That's fantastic!:LOL:

I sure hope they weren't on the painting part of DW's nails when it hit. :)

Apparently I'm going to be useless in a real emergency. I only got as far as calling my daughter over to me by the time it was over. They're doing road work outside our apartment complex and I was in the front room facing the street and thought "Oh crap. Did they just hit something? Should I be expecting an explosion soon? Should we go hide in the pantry?" Because you know, our pantry is the most interior room in the apartment, so that's what I'd do in a tornado. Never mind the fact that if there was an explosion or earthquake that did any damage that'd probably be the best place for us to get buried... By the time it occurred to me that it could have been an earthquake it was over.

A 5.9 shaker on the west coast would hardly make the local news...

Now, all I hear on TV are a bunch of east coast whimps! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

:LOL: I was thinking the same thing, Selkie, glad you said it. :LOL:

Now if we ever had a tornado or a hurricane coming at us I'd be shaking in my boots. Being raised here, damage free earthquakes once in a while are just part of life. No big deal. Little kids think they are fun. I remember my 3 yr old little boy (40 yrs ago) asking "who did that?" I said "God". He looked at the sky and said "Hey God, do that again".

:LOL: I was thinking the same thing, Selkie, glad you said it. :LOL:

Now if we ever had a tornado or a hurricane coming at us I'd be shaking in my boots. Being raised here, damage free earthquakes once in a while are just part of life. No big deal. Little kids think they are fun. I remember my 3 yr old little boy (40 yrs ago) asking "who did that?" I said "God". He looked at the sky and said "Hey God, do that again".

When I moved to California, the first earthquake really shook me up - pun intended. Broken glass everywhere and my walls were bare. Afterwards, I assembled an "Earthquake emergency kit." Before moving from California, I had experienced several earthquakes, but they always left me wary. At work today, everyone felt the tremor throughout the building. Based on my California memories, I was surprised at my nonchalant attitude. "Nothing even dropped off of the walls. No worries." Regardless, we followed the emergency procedures and evacuated the building. :)

As for other natural potential emergencies, we currently have a hurricane traveling this way and it should be here by the weekend. Tornadoes and very high winds have always frightened me. :ermm:

Sprout said:
Apparently I'm going to be useless in a real emergency. I only got as far as calling my daughter over to me by the time it was over. They're doing road work outside our apartment complex and I was in the front room facing the street and thought "Oh crap. Did they just hit something? Should I be expecting an explosion soon? Should we go hide in the pantry?" Because you know, our pantry is the most interior room in the apartment, so that's what I'd do in a tornado. Never mind the fact that if there was an explosion or earthquake that did any damage that'd probably be the best place for us to get buried... By the time it occurred to me that it could have been an earthquake it was over.

Well, now you know that you need to sit down with the DH and discuss strategies for each type of emergency you can think of. If you know something in particular is a weekness you can always practice drills.

In your defense though, you are on the east coast. Not used to expecting an earthquake on the east coast.

Well, now you know that you need to sit down with the DH and discuss strategies for each type of emergency you can think of. If you know something in particular is a weekness you can always practice drills.

In your defense though, you are on the east coast. Not used to expecting an earthquake on the east coast.

THANK YOU!!!:kiss:

The bedrock on the east coast is A LOT denser. If we had a quake like hits on the west coast it would probably do A LOT more damage especially considering our buildings and emergency response are NO WHERE near as prepared for as that of the west coast.

Last edited:
thinking back on yesterday's earthquake. i find myself wondering why it is that it made dogs go crazy, whereas cats could barely be interrupted for a brief moment from their naps. both cats and dogs have keen hearing and sense of smell....anyone know why cats and dogs reacted so differently to the earthquake?

thinking back on yesterday's earthquake. i find myself wondering why it is that it made dogs go crazy, whereas cats could barely be interrupted for a brief moment from their naps. both cats and dogs have keen hearing and sense of smell....anyone know why cats and dogs reacted so differently to the earthquake?
Thats strange because my cat and everyone elses cats I've talked to said their cats when running for cover. Mine turned into claws, teeth and hiss and beat it to under the bed.

Thats strange because my cat and everyone elses cats I've talked to said their cats when running for cover. Mine turned into claws, teeth and hiss and beat it to under the bed.

what you are saying sounds so much more believable, makes sense. my sources for the cat behavior i described was entirely from blogs i was reading. we probably all freaked when the quake hit then--humans, dogs, cats, birds--everybody....

I understand they felt it all the way to Joisy!

They had one in southern Colorado also.

actually, it went all the way up to Boston.

Heard last night that it's because the faults on the East coast are interconnected. As opposed to the West coast, where they're independent of each other.

The magnitude in New Jersey was 2.0

Heard last night that it's because the faults on the East coast are interconnected. As opposed to the West coast, where they're independent of each other.

also, they were saying that this was a shallow acting earthquake, easily spreading far distances. earthquakes usually are occurring very deep within the earth, and do not spread very far on the earth's surface.

what you are saying sounds so much more believable, makes sense. my sources for the cat behavior i described was entirely from blogs i was reading. we probably all freaked when the quake hit then--humans, dogs, cats, birds--everybody....

My cat started acting strange a minute or so BEFORE the quake.

Actually it was felt as far north as Toronto, Canada. My daughter was chatting online with a friend in toronto who felt it at the same time while they were chatting.

Back
Top Bottom