Housekeeping Monthly 1955, YEAH RIGHT!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will be reading that to the wife while she sleeps in hopes it will sink in!!

I am gonna get run outta town now....
I'm not saying all of whats in this article is right by any means. Gimme a break. Shut the kids up and don't bother him? WHATEVER.
But honestly, when you treat your spouse like royalty and put them first, do you know what you get in return?
Treated like royalty!!!!!!
Try it, you'll like it. I promise.
:)

I'm not saying all of whats in this article is right by any means. Gimme a break. Shut the kids up and don't bother him? WHATEVER.
But honestly, when you treat your spouse like royalty and put them first, do you know what you get in return?

Unfortunately, not all men see it that way. There are some that do, but, too many that take it for granted and just expect it because they are the king of the castle.

:clap::clap::clap:

yay squzie!!!!!

yeah, some of it is ridiculous. i think many women are put off by this because it only describes what a woman is supposed to do. i think it's taken out of context by not understanding that men were already expected to act accordingly: provide for the family and be selfless or self-sacrificing, , leave the pressures and stresses of work at the office and begin a second day at home in the evening with equal enthusiasm as the first, be a symbol of calm strength to the children while backing up your wife's discipline of them, bring home flowers or gifts unexpectedly, being sensitive to her wants and needs, etc., etc..

it's important to remember that this was from the idyllic 50's. both sides were expected to give 110% to the other. the sky was the limit.

Well, I tried reading that while she was sleeping last night and next thing I remember is waking up on the couch.

Will try again tonight and update you on the new results!

:) Most women in those days did not work outside the house that has changed dramatically as most women now have jobs to help support the family. So to expect little wifey to wait on men hand and foot when they also put in a full work day just ain't gonna happen. Usually they still have a ton of stuff to do when they get home anyway dealing with the kids, dinner etc hopefully DH will pitch in. If he doesn't it could cause a lot of resentment. IMHO

I hate to burst the bubble, but...

that's how I am! I heard that article read on the radio and people were laughing at how "ridiculous" and "mindless" it was.
Of course back then, when wives did take care of their homes and made sure the food was on the table nightly, the kids were calmed down and she looked like she made an attempt to look nice for her husband, it was a nicer, more pleasant time, and there was a general respect about people. No constant questioning of authority, no talking back to teachers, and kids would say "yes, ma'am" and "no, ma'am". Take me back!!

I have always said I was born about 50 years too late.

well, i hear ya jkath, 'cept WOW!!! although i say 'ma'am' & 'sir' , 'please & thank you' 'scuse me, please, thanks', etcetera, if that counts!!!:ermm:

I'm with you SQ

Some men are not all men. For the matter some women are not all women. Neither gender should be generalized. What SQ sais is, IMHO the missing key to family life. True, now both parties must work to support the household. Neither gender should come home expected to be waited upon.

Treating your spouse like royalty does not necessarily mend waiting on them. All to many people forget the "For better or worse" part of the vows.
Wow, Y'all made me get serious.

We were remodeling the basement and had been carrying and hanging sheetrock for about 14 hours. We were both tired, sweaty, hungry, and crotchety. Dw asked a question and my answer was a snarkey. She just said to me "What you can do I cannot, what I can do you cannnot, but together we can make something beautiful." The basement looks great.

AC

AC

jkath, I have an extra seat in the Time Machine.

Hook me up, Doc

future460.jpg

Some of it is okay, having dinner ready. It's a nice thing to do, but thinking that your husbands opinions or whatever mean more than yours, I don't know about that...

I am so glad that my bride wasn't like that article says. I'd die of boredom.

Give me a woman with a brain and leave the domestic behind. Yeah, I guess my wife might have bought into some of that then (how ever we were babies back then) but she was taught by her farm wife Mother and farm wives work.

It is not about a clean house for them but sharing the work necessary for the family. If that means doing the milking and chores while daddy sets on a tractor from dawn to dusk plowing and disking and planting... that is what she does. Keeping the kids quite at night so as to not bother daddy is a joke. They were working all day too. They goto bed, so much for the noise.

I think that article was a joke even then if it was ever published.

Back
Top Bottom