ISO help with shoes that smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I have some sandles that smell from wearing them I guess through out the years. but i really like them. Should I put them through the wash? Is there something else I can do. It says leather upper made in brazil tobie. What ever that means. It also says ARTIVA on it which I believe is the brand. Any help is appreciated.

bf35cf1234c0e465b1fc465ae60924ff.jpg

w-liner22.jpg

flames%202.jpg

I wash my sneakers which have leather uppers, and they turn out just fine and odor free. I usually put them outside to dry. If you have an enclosed sandal you could try odor eater inserts.

febreeze isn't going to be tuff enough to combat the accumulated funk of the years. call the local dry-cleaners and see if they do leather cleaning and conditioning. failing that, well, if they're unpleasant to wear anyway, go right ahead and toss em in the wash. dissolve the detergent into the cold water first, then plop the shoes in. definitely sit them outside to dry rather than use the dryer. good luck!

:( You have to wear socks with them. You can try spraying them with one of those moisture repelent sprays to try to make them water proof or in this case sweat proof. People clapped when my wooden sandals fell off the boat and sank. (I have no idea why they did not float?.....maybe it was the weight that I was still wearing them!!! :ROFLMAO: )

It's time for some serious shoe shopping. :cool:

I recently purchased some wood shoe savers. They are basically to retain the shape of your shoes and sandals.

They absorb odors from shoes. They are not cheap but I have them for most of my expensive shoes and sandals and they do work.

I would suggest spraying them with Febreeze first (as Andy indicated) and then locating these cedar shoe savers (I got mine from Great Indoors) and leaving them in the shoes for a week. It may do the trick.

There is a powder that you can sprinkle on the sandal that is made just for this. I think it is made by the same people who make odoreaters inserts. I use this on DH's shoes that really smell bad and it does work. I know my feet tend to sweat so in the summer when I'm wearing sandals, I use baby powder on the souls of my feet before I put on the sandal and that helps to keep my feet dry. That may help keep your sandals from stinking in the first place.

The easiest and most effective solution is to liberally sprinkle them with baking soda and leave them outside for a bit. (someplace where they won't get wet) Works wonders, trust me. I work with stinky teenage boys and if it can deal with their feet, it can deal with anything.

the smell is mostly down to Amines (molecules with Ammonia ligands).

they are easily destroyed! BUT... the leather itself is porous and will hold these little tint bits ready to release upon a little heat or moisture, and as you already know, soaking leather is Not a good idea.

that leave you with Regular maintenance and no Perm fix for this.
a QUICK wask with bicarb or even soda (NaHCO3, Na2CO3) will remove most of it, but expect white patches if you don`t rinse it well!
the leather will take a little working again as it`ll shrink and become harder.

there ARE gasses you can use, so as sugested above, a Bicarb coating in the air or a dry cleaners for the gasses.

WOOHOO!! YT agreed with my solution and even had a scientific explanation for it! Thanks YT, I feel so proud of myself now. (yes I know, it takes very little to amuse me!)

sorry, but I am with Mylegs on this.

Sandles + years + odor= time for new sandles. I mean really, treat your feet to something new. think of the sandle evolution that has taken place in the years you have had yours.

Google Artiva and bring your kicks into the modern age.

But, ya know what, guys? We girls have "pet" shoes that we dearly love and are hesitant to part with. I've been known to sew, use this term loosely, a pair of my favorite sandles together to make them last another season.

Legend, I know how you feel.

:) I hate to admit this but my feet sweat alot nothing I can do about it so I dont buy shoes where the bottoms are made of suede or any other material that I cant wash.I hate it my feet can be hot in the winter when Im wearing flip flops I still sweat on the bottom soles.I hate it,hate it, hate it.When I wear my sandals in summer they sweat which makes my feet also pick up the the dirt and it gets down into the bottom of my feet.I hate it,hate it ,hate it.
Searched all over the net ,no solutions.You can find products to dry your feet but then it makes the skin on your feet dry out.I hate it,hate it,hate it.
This was not a problem when I was younger.

You might could try mixing a drop of essential oil, scent of your choice, with unscented powder. Then dust or rub it into the foot area of the shoe. ? maybe ?

jpmcgrew, have you tried dusting with baby powder/talc/cornstarch? You might have to do it frequently, but it should help a bit. That is something that would make me nuts too. I sympathize.

Back
Top Bottom