Just a little rock 'n' roll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
In addition to Mother Nature treating us to a little snow last night, she also presented us with a little rock 'n' roll excitement just before 6 p.m.

We had a 2.9 earthquake that definitely got our attention. I was in the kitchen and felt the floor rumbling/shaking and heard what sounded like a train or a very heavy 18-wheeler driving through the neighborhood. It didn't last very long, but I knew it wasn't a train or truck. I've experienced several earthquakes and there's just something about them that you notice.

We didn't sustain any damage but the spices on the spice shelves were all rocked to the front edge of the shelf and other small objects "walked" a bit where they were.

Earthquakes are not rare here, but they are also not a common occurrence. We live on the New Madrid Fault and the plates shift occasionally. A couple of years ago we had quite a shake. Some buildings in our town were damaged. Others had water damage from broken pipes inside. We lost a bit of a brick chimney (we don't use it) and the pipes in the upstairs bathroom that feed the clawfoot tub broke somewhere in the floor. We can't use the tub now unless we want to sit at the breakfast room table on the floor below with umbrellas.:ohmy: It'll get fixed when we remodel that part of the house.

Guess Mother Nature thought we were bored.

Yikes Katie E!! I've been in several small quakes too - it's the rocking motion that can't be ignored - where everything starts "walking" like a school of fish, if you know what I mean. I'm glad everything was still on the shelves!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom