First Sausage Rolls ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made homemade phyllo dough once, ONCE. Thought my arms were going to fall off after all that rolling.

Homemade puff pastry or croissant dough isn't hard to make, just time consuming in that it has to spend lots of inactive time in the refrigerator compared to short bursts of active time rolling the dough out and doing the "turns." I use this recipe.

I've been working myself up to making a batch. Last time I made 4 upscale pigs-n-blankets, 4 pain au Chocolat, and used the rest for mini croissants.

Thanks, I didn't know that as I don't think it was previously mentioned.

Actually - I didn't use ANY flour at all. ANy flour that was there was put on by the company not me. I didn't fail to brush it (the flour) off before egg washing it because there was no flour ontop of the rolls to brush off.

Regardless of anything though - I would prefer to use flat sheets rather than folded. It is all just personal preference I think.
the flat sheets are available to chefs, they're expensive, i think theres 20 in a case.

Any idea why the average guy in the street can't buy them as well?

Might have to have a word with my locals chef, and yes he IS a chef, and see if he might not be able to get me some, or if I can buy a few sheets of him as needed ?

So am trying (experimenting) with another couple of rolls. This time I have used what was left of the sausage meat from yesterdays attempt AND added the following:

1. Rosemary - just a few piches of though
2. Onion Salt - a little liberal
3. Worcstershire Suace about 3 tspns worth.
4. Generous helping of normal table salt

and finally - I'll wait for the "what the ..."

5. Brushed them with milk and not egg. I believe that is what my mother used for her pastries.

So in about 20 minutes, we'll see how they turned out - I use my wife as a "Taste Test Dummy" if she is still walking and talking after 15 minutes - I try em :-p

Oh AND I did buy a Rolling Pin :) At least from what I understand from another member here, they have a dual perpose so if I don't use it, it wont be money wasted :)

Have just checked on the Rolls and, likelast nights attempt, they have stuck to the alluminium foil I use over the baking tray. Once I release them they are fine from then on but I have to use a steel spatchula to lift them and they seem very juicy as well - like they did last night.

Does that sound normal?

Have just checked on the Rolls and, likelast nights attempt, they have stuck to the alluminium foil I use over the baking tray. Once I release them they are fine from then on but I have to use a steel spatchula to lift them and they seem very juicy as well - like they did last night.

Does that sound normal?
Get some parchment paper. It can be used in the oven up to 400F. I use it regularly. It's cheaper than foil and won't rip.

I buy mine at dollar stores.

Heck the way I'm going - I'll have my own Celebrity Chef Show this time next week !!!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Get some parchment paper. It can be used in the oven up to 400F. I use it regularly. It's cheaper than foil and won't rip.

I buy mine at dollar stores.

Thanks and I go through a lot of Tinm Foil - just saves having to wash the baking tray unless it rips, and I thought parchment paper went out with the Roman Empire??? :)

Any idea why the average guy in the street can't buy them as well?

Might have to have a word with my locals chef, and yes he IS a chef, and see if he might not be able to get me some, or if I can buy a few sheets of him as needed ?
they're $97 a case....and contain no butter.
Wholesale is cheaper but what would you do with that much dough.

Worcestershire sauce = nice
HP sauce is your secret friend

I use fish sauce in just about anything, and MSG too. I have a large salt pig that is always full. I hardly ever use salt from it. I get my umami from all kinds of other ingredients.

In regards to your pastry, ensure that you work with it cold. The warmth from your hands will kill it. I have a large stainless steel rolling pin which I keep in the fridge, little tip there.
I also always make my own pastry, I find that the bought stuff is just not very good. Again, cold butter and don’t overwork it. Into the fridge or even the freezer for about a half hour before you work it. More butter equals shorter pastry, ie: more “crumbly”.

The first ones you made look really nice by the way-now you are down the rabbit hole of getting them to your perfection! 🫠

I made homemade phyllo dough once, ONCE. Thought my arms were going to fall off after all that rolling.

Homemade puff pastry or croissant dough isn't hard to make, just time consuming in that it has to spend lots of inactive time in the refrigerator compared to short bursts of active time rolling the dough out and doing the "turns." I use this recipe.

I've been working myself up to making a batch. Last time I made 4 upscale pigs-n-blankets, 4 pain au Chocolat, and used the rest for mini croissants.
filo isn't rolled, all you have to do is pull it.
that stacking technique is the chinese method for wrappers.

Okay - well the new version isn't bad at all! I think it has a little more flavor to it and is closer to what I am refering to as a savory taste. I think I am going to stick with this version for a little while at least :)

So what I have used:

Basil
Thyme
Oregano
Sage
Garlic

All compliments of @Jade Emperor

I have added:

1. Rosemary - just a few piches of though
2. Onion Salt - a little liberal
3. Worcstershire Suace about 3 tspns worth.
4. Generous helping of normal table salt
5. Brushed them with milk and not egg.

I then cooked them at 350F (as per @Jade Emperor recomendation) BUT needed to cook them for 40 minutes instead of the 30 it took last night.

However, for no particular reason, I think I will go back to the egg instyead of the milk - I think they browned better with the egg than the milk.

Next ones I will try with HP Sauce - @Jade Emperor ahh do you mean to add that to the meat or use it instead of dead horse? If to the meat - how much do you suggest?

So after two attempts, and lots of guidance from you guys, I think I have found something similar to what I was looking for :)

Last edited:
Filo is not correct for Aussie sausage rolls, in my opinion. Shortcrust or die.

I tried that phylo pastry once and thought it was very Flaky - I can't imagine it being used for anything other than sweet pastries and the like, not sausage rolls or pies or anything ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom