First Sausage Rolls ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have just checked on the Rolls and, likelast nights attempt, they have stuck to the alluminium foil I use over the baking tray. Once I release them they are fine from then on but I have to use a steel spatchula to lift them and they seem very juicy as well - like they did last night.

Does that sound normal?
you should be able to bake them on the paper wrap they came in.
I buy quilon treated sheetpan liners from amazon, nothing sticks to it.

Okay one other question -

Can I put unused puff pastry back in the fridge without the wrapping? Meaning just lay a sheet, or half sheet as the case may be, on a plate in the fridge or should I just toss it?

you should be able to bake them on the paper wrap they came in.
I buy quilon treated sheetpan liners from amazon, nothing sticks to it.

I don't think the paper they came with will be big enough - it is only as wide as the box, a bit thinner actually. And only two pieces at that :(

I'll give the parchment a go first, because I can get that locally - no shipping etc, and work from there :)

That's one of the reasons I bought some ready made puff pastry. But, the instructions say to let it thaw in the fridge overnight. That's not gonna help with getting that sudden craving dealt with soon. It's one of the reasons that danged puff pastry has been sitting in my freezer for many months. :(
put the frozen dough on the table , it will be defrosted in 15 minutes.

Oh dear ......... she who must be obeyed didn't like them, said tyhey were topo spicy for her so looks like I have two options:

1. Make two seperate batches, one for her one for me, OR
2. Just make em like I did last night and they were great as well :)

Shot down in my prime :(

Oh dear ......... she who must be obeyed didn't like them, said tyhey were topo spicy for her so looks like I have two options:

I'm for making two batches if you have time. I have to do that sometimes with my Mr Picky.

I tried that phylo pastry once and thought it was very Flaky - I can't imagine it being used for anything other than sweet pastries and the like, not sausage rolls or pies or anything ?
Spanakopita comes immediately to mind.
It’s the way of the world nowadays that the cheffy types will throw all kinds of nonsense together and think that they have created something special. I have personally witnessed a chef putting filo pastry and black pepper into a deep fryer and calling it a canapé. Ummm…no. Tasted like arse.
HP sauce is a weapon. I make a mean bolognaise sauce with it and I always get my guests asking how I do it. In my career as a fine dining chef, I always looked for those little things that made my dish shine, the small tricks that people would never think of in their own kitchen.
Not Blumenthal level, because he’s nuts.
But just using gut instinct and experimenting.
Which is why I am really interested in this thread. You have decided to go on your journey with sausage rolls and as ordinary as they may seem, it’s a great way to get started into your culinary adventures. Make them the life of the party! Leave people wondering what dark art you are conjuring up in your kitchen.
It might just be those two tablespoons of HP sauce, or a dash of horseradish or a bit of dashi - anything that your mind creates. Caveat always, be mindful of how everything is going to work together.
Strawberries and cream work together well, strawberries and anchovy not so much .

I'm for making two batches if you have time. I have to do that sometimes with my Mr Picky.

That is the way I was leaning as well - and I have plenty of time in between the time I have plenty of :)

I was gonna say but didn't wanna say....
Anyway, its better to let the customer decide.

I find that once your pastry is thawed, you use it or lose it. I make mine from scratch with the intention of using it all up, or I freeze some there and then.
Once I thaw it, there’s no going back.
In the end, although I am a very thrifty cook, pastry is just flour and butter and some water, which I can easily make. Leftovers are rare.

Worcestershire sauce = nice
HP sauce is your secret friend

I use fish sauce in just about anything, and MSG too. I have a large salt pig that is always full. I hardly ever use salt from it. I get my umami from all kinds of other ingredients.

In regards to your pastry, ensure that you work with it cold. The warmth from your hands will kill it. I have a large stainless steel rolling pin which I keep in the fridge, little tip there.
I also always make my own pastry, I find that the bought stuff is just not very good. Again, cold butter and don’t overwork it. Into the fridge or even the freezer for about a half hour before you work it. More butter equals shorter pastry, ie: more “crumbly”.

The first ones you made look really nice by the way-now you are down the rabbit hole of getting them to your perfection! 🫠
that sounds like a real rolling pin.

I find that once your pastry is thawed, you use it or lose it. I make mine from scratch with the intention of using it all up, or I freeze some there and then.
Once I thaw it, there’s no going back.
In the end, although I am a very thrifty cook, pastry is just flour and butter and some water, which I can easily make. Leftovers are rare.
i have a special technique for cut offs and scrap, lay it on saran and lay another piece of saran on top, roll it up into a ball and drop it in the trash.

filo isn't rolled, all you have to do is pull it.
that stacking technique is the chinese method for wrappers.
The recipe noted above is ROLLED and that is similar to the one I used. Not everyone is skilled at or has someone who is to teach them the traditional way. And I did pull it toward the end, but first it was rolled.

BTW, commercial phyllo found in supermarkets is not pulled, it's sheeted with rollers.

Okay one other question -

Can I put unused puff pastry back in the fridge without the wrapping? Meaning just lay a sheet, or half sheet as the case may be, on a plate in the fridge or should I just toss it?
It needs to be wrapped as it will dry out. It also needs to be used really quickly, like next day

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom