My Dad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so sorry to hear this Barbara. Also about the girlfriend.. I hope he hasn't changed any POA's or anything.. that can be scary (I run into this working in a financial advisors office)... anyway, just remember that the family has been there more than "Several Months" and you deserve a heck of alot more authority than she is touting.

Barbara, you know how much I care about you and that I know exactly where you are at right now as you were there for me almost exactly one year ago. My heart, prayers and thoughts are all with you, James and your family. Anything you need, just holler! I'll leave the window open so I can hear you better!
Will do! And thank you!

I'm so sorry to hear this Barbara. Also about the girlfriend.. I hope he hasn't changed any POA's or anything.. that can be scary (I run into this working in a financial advisors office)... anyway, just remember that the family has been there more than "Several Months" and you deserve a heck of alot more authority than she is touting.
My daughter made it clear to the staff that only family is to be told anything about his care, and they put it on his chart. The only reason they have let her stay this long is because when my dad sees her he looks happy, but if she continues to wake him up and interfere with his care, she will be out of there.

barbara, make sure you know at this moment who his power of attorney is. that person needs to make it clear that no one but family is allowed to anything at this point.

i will continue to include your dad in my prayers.

Last edited:
A new update! The neurosurgeon now says that the type of tumor my dad has is one that has a 90% survival rate after 5 years. They can't do anything until his nausea goes down, but they will remove the tumor (all or part) and possibly (depending on how completely they can remove it) chemotherapy. His spirits were definitely lifted by this news. I got to talk to him on the phone today and he said he really appreciates everyone's prayers.

BT--The hospital staff knows not to tell anyone but family anything. There is a sign on his door that you have to check with the nurses before going in. The girlfriend was stuffing him full of food, which could account for the nausea. He is now on a diet of Ensure. She has finally stopped waking him up to "make out" with him. My daughter said it is disgusting--she practically lays on him kissing him over and over--in front of my grandkids, in front of people from church, etc. When family leaves, if the girlfriend is there, the staff has been told that if she does anything but just sit there, they are to call the family immediately. The hospital has been working with the family. The only reason the family is putting up with her being there at all is that it makes my dad happy when he sees her.

Barbara, So sorry to hear about your dad. I know it is hard being that far away. I'm thinking good thoughts for both of you, and will keep him in my prayers.

Barb, it's great to hear some positive news. We will continue to keep positive thoughts for you all.

Barb mate I never know what to say in situations like this via this sort of medium, so my best wishes are with you and your family.

barb my sis and i had a similar experience with my dad. he had a lady friend living with him. she ran up his credit cards, etc. some level of care, i guess. when he went in for surgery and then died, she was still in the house. we had to buy her out or she wasn't moving out. we did and she did. what a mess. bills on credit cards came in long after my dad died. she called me once long distance to tell me my dad had on two shirts wrong side out. i couldn't figure what she wanted me to do. i'm in ca. and they were in tenn. and my sister was right there. a piece of work, indeed. don't cut her any slack or you will be very sorry.

Well, we are bringing in the troops (family)--anyone who is able to come to show support for the family, as things are taking a nasty turn with the girlfriend. The doctors said last night that my dad is lucid (he was able to say what day it was and his full name, etc.), so if he wants the girlfriend there, the family can't do anything about it.

HOWEVER, we are not letting that stop us. The GF is not going to be left alone with him. My daughter has requested an appointment with the hospital's "something or other" counselor (can't remember the word, but he helps when someone is taking advantage of someone for financial gain), and she is contacting his lawyer.

The reason we (my daughter and sister--I'm too far away to do anything except give advice, like to call the lawyer) are having to move fast is that the GF last night completely ignored what the doctor said about having a good chance with surgery. She told my dad that he is dying and only has 13 months (the doctor said up to 19 months without treatment) and she just about had him convinced to check himself out of the hospital. She said she was going to take him to a cancer treatment place up in Anaheim. My daughter called the main headquarters for that place and they don't have one in California at all. The nearest one is Phoenix, AZ. They reasoned with my dad and convinced him (so far at least) that he needs to stay for the biopsy the doctor wants to do. Mind you, my dad has always been a very reasonable man, and he has never let anyone talk him into something he doesn't want to do. It is the tumor pressing on his brain that has him falling for everything she says. We are afraid that if she is left alone with him she might whisk him away, either into hiding, or to a wedding chapel, or both. We honestly could not care less if he wants to give her every penny he has--IF he is thinking clearly and is not being manipulated. We want him happy, but we don't want him manipulated.

I won't bore you with any more of the sordid details--sorry to go on!

Last edited:
Good Idea Barbara, keep family in the room. And get the doctor back in there to talk to your Dad again. He needs it all explained again with the GF and Family in the room as witnesses. Most likely a Social Worker in the room, too.

What a situation you have on your hands.. sounds like this woman is complicated everything... there is usually at least one at times like these unfortunately :(

Please keep us updated Barbara! I am still sending good vibes your way...

I will keep you all updated as well as I can. They are working on getting me a flight as soon as possible, so I won't have as much computer access, but I will have some. :)

I am sorry to hear about your dad's brain tumor. We will put him on the prayer chain here at our church. May God's peace be with you & your family during this difficult time, let others concern be a comfort to you & your family.

Thank you so much!

I haven't gotten any updates today, but it is kind of a case of no news is good news. The biopsy yesterday went well, then he was left alone to rest (which also meant the girlfriend couldn't be there). My daughter said he was remembering things better yesterday morning. :)

i'm so sorry this is going like it is barbara. your dad's illness is tough enough than to have to deal with other issues.

i have and will continue to say a decade on my rosary for your papa.

Back
Top Bottom