Please stop posting pictures of your Retrievers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aurora

Senior Cook
Please stop posting pictures of your retrievers. I just love those dogs and every time I see one my first impulse is to get my car keys and drive to the SPCA to look for one to bring home. They have the sweetest dispositions and personalities. I had a friend in college who was never without one even as a freshman. I loved her dearly, but my best memories were of the escapades of her dogs and the times we spent with them.

We have two kitties who'd be less than thrilled sharing the domicile with a dog, especially one the size of a retriever.

Lest anyone be offended, this post is in jest. Keep the photos coming I enjoy them.

Buddy

This is my best friend, Buddy, and he is the friendliest dog in the world. Retriever/lab mix.

Attachments

• Buddy.jpg
    Buddy.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 221
Well, each time I brush my retriever, I have enough hair to make another dog...would you like me to send it to you? :LOL:

I love her but that hair is everywhere, absolutely everywhere! Oh, I don't mind vacuuming 3x a week.:wacko:

aren't Goldens the most popular breed in the U.S.?
ours is a mutt/mix (we think a mix with border collie because of her mothering, herding instincts)

when daughter was little, she always called her a golden retreater

Half Baked said:
Well, each time I brush my retriever, I have enough hair to make another dog...would you like me to send it to you? :LOL:

I love her but that hair is everywhere, absolutely everywhere! Oh, I don't mind vacuuming 3x a week.:wacko:
Actually, when my mother was alive she had her neighbor save their golden's hair and she would spin it into yarn and made some beautiful sweaters from the fur. It was so soft, almost like cashmere.

hahahahahahahaha Golden retreater. I bet other dogs loved those sweaters.

Well I don't don't have a golden retriever. I do however have a yellow labrador retriever. You're welcome to have his hair too if you wish Aurora !

Due to our rental facility not allowing large dogs, we don't have any. I grew up with a black lab/german shepherd mix named Jake. Great dog. Best $20 spent at the MaSPCA.

Mrs Big Dog grew up with a black lab/Chesapeak Bay Retreiver mix. He was a big boy, lemme tell you! When we had to put him down, he was a whopping 147 pounds! Lean and mean (well, not mean, but you know what I mean) too. His name was Afro.

We're both Big Dog fans (could you guess?) and likely won't get a dog until we can have a big one. Any of the retreivers are high on the list, as is german shepherd. At the top of the list is the Siberian Husky, though we'd get two so they could play together. I hear they are pretty high strung.

Here is Jenny looking out of our Master Bedroom (while we were building our house):

I can't believe the price of an ASPCA or Humane Society dog. We had to shell out $250 for each dog. :ohmy: We just want to save the pups so it is worth it to us.

But it's no wonder some people turn to backyard breeders or puppy mills....it's just a few dollars more for a purebred. But because of how these dogs are bred, there can be many many health problems that can end up costing you quite a bit of money.

You can get a rescue purebred of all ages, from the pound or organizations that save the pups from being euthanized.

Last edited:
Half-baked, you can buy a pup for that amount, but most of the rescue dogs are already spayed/neutered, (or will be if the dog is too young.) They have also had all their shots, and have been evaluated for temperament.

sparrowgrass said:
Half-baked, you can buy a pup for that amount, but most of the rescue dogs are already spayed/neutered, (or will be if the dog is too young.) They have also had all their shots, and have been evaluated for temperament.

You are so right sparrowgrass. I neglected to add that and I thank you for reminding people. :)

I can't walk through a pound or humane society because it brings me to tears. I have to pick out the dog on the internet and have them bring him out to the office. I've always had wonderful rescues. They really seem grateful and are so loving.

This is me and my Amber when she was about 16 weeks old. She's a yellow lab and retriever mix. As she's gotten older, she's gotten the hair of a golden. Geez, my deck was messy. :ohmy:

img_327027_0_e2a3090ce9a626aa5813a5eb0287459c.jpg

Last edited:
Here is one of my sweet-peas. Can you believe this darling is over 13 yrs old? He still acts (and looks) like a puppy.

125078833.jpg

What gorgeous pooches!!! And obviously spoiled rotten pooches??
lol..I have two of that kind at home.:rolleyes: :)

Jan, that is a beautiful photo.:cool:

Last edited:
I grew up with labs but my daughter want a beagle puppy, She is a big baby going on 8 yrs old. and the shedding was horriable. I have seen the commercial for the comb the shed ender. I don't want to sound like a commerical but I brought one at our state fair before labor day and I have to tell you -- you won't believe what it does. I had always used a shedding blade and it did a decent job. But this really gets alot out. I don't know where you can get them now or if the commerical is still on for but i paid 20.00 for mind and well worth it.

I saw that infomercial and really contemplated ordering it. Glad for your recommendation! :)

I use one of my old horses' shedding blade too and it works but doesn't get that bottom layer of hair.

Just look at the size of feet on that puppy. Although the pound said she was lab and golden, I think there's some hound dog in her too. As she's gotten older I notice that she's long and has a little bit of the worried face of a hound...plus she's lazy!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom