RIP, you old hockey puck...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Rat Pack is officially no more. Don Rickles was an honorary member. RIP.

RIP Don.

True story. I played at Don's 67th (or maybe 68th?) birthday party. It was held in a conference room at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. There were maybe 30-40 people in attendance, so not a big crowd. Our band took a break and Don got up on stage and did some of his routine. He made jokes at the expense of a few of his friends who were there, then he looks at me and asks if the band would come up and play something because he wants to sing.

I just kind of motioned "who... me?" and he snaps, "Not you, dummy. I want a GOOD BAND." Then he says, "I'm kidding. Get up here."

So we went up and played Frank Sinatra's version of "My Way" and Don sings it. Not badly, either. Who knew?

When we were done, he made a point of pulling us aside to tell us how much he liked us, and appreciated us playing for his little shindig. He spent about 20 minutes talking to us at his own party. Honestly, once he put the microphone down, he instantly turned into your favorite uncle. Just a sweet, down-to-earth man, and nothing whatsoever like his personality on stage.

Last edited:
Neato, Steve. Never been a big fan of his style of humor, but I've also heard he was a nice guy when he wasn't performing.

Nice story, Steve. Thanks for sharing and letting us know that Rickles wasn't the same kind of person in real life as he was on stage. Not my kind of humor either, but it's a shame another legend is gone.

OK, I think a little more of him if he was nice to you Steve.

He was married to one woman... for 52 years. The marriage ended today, when he died. BTW, she apparently didn't like a lot of his jokes, either.

CD

Thank You Steve... I was never a fan of his either but like the others it's nice to hear he wasn't like that off the stage. RIP Mr. Rickles.

Several people who were his really close friends all said, he was not the person you saw on stage. He was kind and a very gentle person. I was so glad that he will be remembered in that manner. RIP Don.

Even so, I wouldn't exactly like to be the only one left in a room talking with him.

Celebrities say being made fun of by Don Rickles was an honor. It was like a rite of passage, "I'm somebody now, Don Rickles made fun of me."

CD

Back
Top Bottom