This 16-Pound Tomahawk Steak Goes for $1,200

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
https://vegas.eater.com/2018/9/20/17881510/mb-steak-16-pound-tomahawk-1200-rich-people-things

MB_Steak_Tomahawk_Presentation_PRESS.0.jpg

A small meal for one or two people:chef:

I've read that tomahawk steaks came about because cattle are bred to be much larger than they used to be, so the muscles the primal cuts come from are larger. People are used to steaks looking a certain way. Marketing to the rescue! [emoji38]

"But larger cattle also means larger muscles. For restaurants and grocery stores, that has proved a challenge.

"It's a lot more work for our meat-cutters, I'll tell you that," said Travis Doster, the spokesman for Texas Roadhouse, a steakhouse chain with more than 400 locations.

"The issue, Doster and others say, lies in the growing diameter of cows' muscles: things like the longissimus, from which rib-eyes, top loins, sirloins and chuck eye are cut."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-new-steak-cuts-larger-cattle-20171207-story.html

I've seen steaks and roasts with the extended ribs still attached. Not sure I understand the allure. Yeah I know, "presentation". I think it looks stupid and makes it awkward for the diner to cut and eat the meat.

I've read that tomahawk steaks came about because cattle are bred to be much larger than they used to be, so the muscles the primal cuts come from are larger. People are used to steaks looking a certain way. Marketing to the rescue! [emoji38]

"But larger cattle also means larger muscles. For restaurants and grocery stores, that has proved a challenge.

"It's a lot more work for our meat-cutters, I'll tell you that," said Travis Doster, the spokesman for Texas Roadhouse, a steakhouse chain with more than 400 locations.

"The issue, Doster and others say, lies in the growing diameter of cows' muscles: things like the longissimus, from which rib-eyes, top loins, sirloins and chuck eye are cut."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-new-steak-cuts-larger-cattle-20171207-story.html

Just an FYI, not a comment on your post, Texas Roadhouse is actually a pretty good place to get a good steak for a reasonable price. I didn't know they had that many locations. So far, I've never had a bad steak at any of the ones I've been to. On the other hand, I've never had a good steak at Outback Steakhouse.

CD

Just an FYI, not a comment on your post, Texas Roadhouse is actually a pretty good place to get a good steak for a reasonable price. I didn't know they had that many locations. So far, I've never had a bad steak at any of the ones I've been to. On the other hand, I've never had a good steak at Outback Steakhouse.

CD

We have a few in New England.

Texas Roadhouse is actually a pretty good place to get a good steak for a reasonable price. So far, I've never had a bad steak at any of the ones I've been to. On the other hand, I've never had a good steak at Outback Steakhouse.

CD

I agree with both points..

Ross

CD

Agreed. We've been to 4 or 5 different locations, and all had very good steaks.

$1,200 for a steak? Pocket change for the folks here. ;)

When someone puts a plate in front of me piled high with food, I get overwhelmed and can't eat more than two or three bites. I use a small salad plate now. I get my lunch delivered every week day. My favorite dish (soup) that they send me is the creamy corn chowder.

Back
Top Bottom