Trends that should disappear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gee, on my last shopping outing I bought both beef and chicken stock in the box. On the box it said made with bone. Same price as the broth. Broth doesn't have the intense flavor I am looking for. Richer and darker for both items. And this is house brand.

I'm tired of field greens and 'mixed greens' and 'spring mix' being added to just about everything these days, including sandwiches and wraps. When I order a BLT, I don't want a spring mix dumped onto the sandwich. I want ICEBERG LETTUCE, thankyouverymuch.

I knew someone who had a sandwich stand. All kinds of unusual and tasty sandwiches on whole grain bread. She usually put greens or sprouts on her sandwiches. While we were talking, one of her regular customers came and ordered a sandwich with "no grass". :LOL:

Field greens have been around for decades..they used to call it Mesclun and has been renamed for marketing purposes, I suppose..
At least we don't have to deal with "Super Foods" much anymore..
There was a study done on quinoa and chia seeds a while back and it was discovered that they were no more healthier for you than potatoes..

HAH! So they slapped a new title on an everyday thing so they could add a couple of bucks to the price!
A restaurant in New York City was selling it for $12 a cup a few years ago.

People who don't understand how digestion works think it's special because they cook it for two or three days (depending on whose recipe you're looking at). They think eating the dissolved collagen (gelatin) will soothe arthritis and enhance skin because skin and the cushioning between bones are made of collagen. However, collagen is broken down into amino acids by digestion and used by the body where they're needed at the time.

It's another example of the magical thinking many people engage in.

Field greens have been around for decades..they used to call it Mesclun and has been renamed for marketing purposes, I suppose..

Every new generation wants to believe they discovered something their parents didn't have ;)

There was a study done on quinoa and chia seeds a while back and it was discovered that they were no more healthier for you than potatoes..

God, I hope you're right! I'm *so sick* of hearing about that.

Bone broth also releases, into solution, dietary calcium and phosphate that is easily digestible. Thus, reducing the need for supplementation with OTC minerals. Better than milk for building strong bones.

Bone broth also releases, into solution, dietary calcium and phosphate that is easily digestible. Thus, reducing the need for supplementation with OTC minerals. Better than milk for building strong bones.
The only reference on calcium in bone broth that I've been able to find comes to the opposite conclusion; it looks like the calcium in vegetables is more soluble than that in bones. If you know of evidence that bone broth has more calcium than milk, I'd like to see it.
The inescapable conclusion is not much calcium ends up in the broth, even when the bones are cooked long enough to have softened and begun to dissolve. As the King’s College research team found back in 1934 and we confirmed as part of the analysis for the book Nourishing Broth, the best way to increase the calcium content of bone broth is to include calcium-rich vegetables while making the broth.Adding milk or cream to the broth to make cream soups or chowders would most appreciably increase the calcium content.

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/bone-broth-calcium/

(Note that this page includes a lot of incorrect information mixed in with accurate information, but it references a scientific study and, given that the author had the results confirmed by a lab before publishing her book "Nourishing Broth," I think her conclusion is valid.)

Last edited:
I never said it had more calcium than milk. I said it was easily digestible and has increased bio-availability.

Romaine recalls

Every time I hear there’s a romaine recall, I’m forced to picture a thousand people with explosive diarrhea. For that alone—and I know it can get more serious than that—can we stop planting romaine next to creeks next to cow pastures? All of these years of technology and progress and the cow poop is still getting in the water, then to the lettuce, and then to Panera?
Why does it always have to be my favorite salad green? Grrr...

While it's not bad for you, it doesn't do much good, either. Iceberg lettuce has very little nutritional value.

Don't care ;)

I eat plenty of other healthful foods. But a BLT must have iceberg lettuce. And, contrary to popular belief, iceberg lettuce does offer some nutritional value.

One cup of iceberg lettuce contains: 10 calories, 0 grams of fat, 1 gram protein, 2 grams carbs (1 of dietary fiber), 7 percent of vitamin A, 3 percent of vitamin C, 1 percent of calcium and 2 percent of iron. It also contains trace amounts of potassium, folate, vitamin K, magnesium and phosphorus.

Source: https://bangordailynews.com/2013/02/25/health/blogs-and-columns/iceberg-lettuce-not-just-water/

Yes, darker greens have more vitamins and minerals. But iceberg isn't completely devoid.

This makes my day :clap:

While I love quinoa (they can keep the chia seeds) I still love my potatoes. I'd rather give up pasta than potatoes.

God, I hope you're right! I'm *so sick* of hearing about that.

You and me both.

I never said it had more calcium than milk. I said it was easily digestible and has increased bio-availability.
Sorry, I misspoke. There's not very much calcium in bone broth to begin with, though. For that reason, I don't think it's accurate to promote it as good for bone health. Even if the calcium from milk is less bio-available, it has so much more that you have to drink a lot less to get the same benefit. The better nutrition advice would be to advocate for eating more vegetables, since the calcium they contain is more soluble.

From the article I posted:
Recent USDA figures for brand-name canned broths sold at supermarkets show calcium at just 14 mg per cup (1.4% of the RDA) for beef and 9 mg (0.9% of the RDA) per cup for chicken. By comparison, USDA reports 291.0 mg of calcium per cup for whole milk.

While it is easy to dismiss these figures as what’s to be expected from the poor quality of broth found in commercial products, low calcium levels were also reported by Saffron Road and Flavor Chef Broths, two excellent brands sold in health food stores. The Nutrition Facts labels reported on their labels are 0 percent and 4 percent of the RDA, respectively, per cup of the RDA for calcium.

Sally Fallon Morell, President of the Weston A. Price Foundation and I found this so unbelievable that we decided more testing was warranted before completing Nourishing Broth: An Old-Fashioned Remedy for the Modern World (Grand Central Life & Style, September 2014).

The reports that came in from Covance Laboratories in Madison, Wisconsin, were much the same. Broth prepared by Kim Schuette of Biodynamic Wellness of Solana Beach, California, showed low levels of calcium at 2.31 mg per cup (from a whole chicken plus two feet but not vegetables), while broth from Lance Roll of Flavor Chef showed 6.14 mg per cup (from broth made with bones and vegetables).

Last edited:
I am not lactose intolerant, but I do not drink milk. I get my calcium from the foods I eat, bone broth is a viable ingredient in recipes. It also has other benefits, like collagen (your body does need the amino acid building blocks in order to build), MSM, Phosphate and other minerals and vitamins that your body needs and uses.

I have not said that bone broth is a miracle food, to each his own. Just making a comment on it's merits.

I am not lactose intolerant, but I do not drink milk. I get my calcium from the foods I eat, bone broth is a viable ingredient in recipes. It also has other benefits, like collagen (your body does need the amino acid building blocks in order to build), MSM, Phosphate and other minerals and vitamins that your body needs and uses.

I have not said that bone broth is a miracle food, to each his own. Just making a comment on it's merits.
I agree it's a healthful thing to eat. I'm just saying, in the context of this post about trendy foods, its benefits have been greatly exaggerated. It won't cure arthritis or smooth wrinkles and it doesn't acquire more calcium by simmering it for two days rather than a few hours. That's what I was addressing in my initial comment about it.

Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
While it's not bad for you, it doesn't do much good, either. Iceberg lettuce has very little nutritional value.
Don't care ;)

I eat plenty of other healthful foods. But a BLT must have iceberg lettuce.

Amen, young lady...

Ross

Back
Top Bottom