trivia 8/4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
trivia 8/4
DID YOU KNOW ...
There are many Confederate soldiers buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

1. Simon and Garfunkel took their "Bridge Over Troubled Water" single to the top in which decade?
2. White moves his knight to b5, thereby simultaneously attacking a black bishop on d6 and the black queen on c7 . What chess tactic has White employed?
3. Which is the country geographically closest to Gibraltar?
France
Algeria
Spain
England
4. Harald V and his wife Sonja are King and Queen of what country ?
5. what's the instrument played by an orchestra's concert master?
6. which state includes the island of dry Tortugas?
7. Fill in the blanks;
The planet Jupiter is composed of 90% ________ and 10% ______ .
8. What color are natural sponges ?
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
America's Pledge of Allegiance has been recited in Congress and other governmental bodies at the opening of sessions almost since its being written.
1. 1970's
2. Knight Fork
3. Spain
4. Norway
5. VIOLIN
6. FLORIDA
7. hydrogen - helium
8. yellow
CRAP !!
The pledge was written by magazine editor Francis Bellamy in 1892 for a nationwide public school celebration of the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus’s landing.
In 1898, during the Spanish American War, New York became the first state to mandate that public school students recite the Pledge of Allegiance at the beginning of each school day. Many states followed suit, and the pledge remained a staple of the daily routine in many schools until 1988, when it became an issue in the presidential campaign.
Vice President George H.W. Bush criticized his opponent, Democrat Michael Dukakis, for vetoing a bill as governor of Massachusetts that would have required the pledge to be recited in public schools. Dukakis said he did so after being advised that the law was unconstitutional.
At the height of the campaign, on Sept. 13, 1988, the pledge was recited on the floor of the House of Representatives for the first time. Republican members of the House, who were in the minority, offered a resolution to that effect, and it was accepted by Speaker Jim Wright, a Democrat. Wright ruled that from then on, the pledge would be recited at the start of business each day that the House was in session.
The Pledge has been modified four times since its composition, with the most recent change adding the words "under God " in 1954.
The Senate did not begin daily recital of the pledge until June 24, 1999. Since then, the pledge has become part of the opening rituals of nearly all state and local governmental bodies.

If I had given a little thought to #1 I would have gotten it, but I went with the '60s. I only got #s 3,4,5, and 6.

Back
Top Bottom