WHY would they give my kitty.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
banana-flavored antiboitic..... (it reeks of banana, anyhoo)
it's beyond me. is it a med taken by humans, too?
if not, why wouldn't they flavor it with animal-friendly flavorings.....

she needs to be placed in a towel & it takes two to give her her meds, then she salivates half of them away!!

anyone else?

banana-flavored antiboitic..... (it reeks of banana, anyhoo)
it's beyond me. is it a med taken by humans, too?
if not, why wouldn't they flavor it with animal-friendly flavorings.....

she needs to be placed in a towel & it takes two to give her her meds, then she salivates half of them away!!

anyone else?

:):):)Hmmmmm, maybe it's hard to mix up mouse-flavored antibiotic????;););)

This sounds harsh, but maybe you are not sticking the dropper far enough down her throat.

Are you sure it's flavored that way or just smells that way. In my experience ALL cats need to be forced to take any meds. They aren't like dogs, they don't eat anything handed to them that smells like meat. 12 cats and they've all been difficult to give meds to. You always need to shove the dopper down their throat past their gag reflex. It's hard, but it has to be done.

yeah, i'm not sure what it tastes like to her. poor kitty. we've owned 10, & they hate thier meds.

oops, by the way, i put the dropper at the hinge of thier jaw. they still spit some meds out.

oops, by the way, i put the dropper at the hinge of thier jaw. they still spit some meds out.
No, no, no... too far out. You have to put it at the back of their tongue and their gag reflex will help them swallow the meds. You're allowing their tongue to spit out the meds, you need to force them to swallow it by nearly gagging them. It sounds cruel, but it's how it has to be done.

I really don't want to sound cruel, it's just how cats are. A cat, for whatever reason, will reject tuna if meds are in it; unlike dogs who you can hide pills in cheese for. Their olfactory senses are just stronger. You won't choke the kitty but getting it past the back of their tongue is the only way to ensure they get all their meds.

I'm with Callisto - putting it in her mouth will not do it ... you have to put it down her throat where she has to swallow or choke - she will swallow before she chokes.

But, yeah - banana flavored/scented antibiotics for cats? Probably a generic that would work for other critters as well .... which might be inclined to eat something with a banana flavor/smell.

Last edited:
I have a pill shooter, it is about 5 inches long and holds a pill and you shoot the pill in the cat's open mouth. It usually takes hubby and me to do the job tho, he holds the cat and cat's front feet in a towel and I open the cat's mouth and pop that pill in or if cat is taking liquid meds.

I'm with Callisto - putting it in her mouth will not do it ... you have to put it down her throat where she has to swallow or choke - she will swallow before she chokes.

But, yeah - banana flavored/scented antibiotics for cats? Probably a generic that would work for other critters as well .... which might be inclined to eat something with a banana flavor/smell.

it's tough to say the reasoning they have so as to why they give banana meds to a regulsr pet!:ermm:

I once had to give my cats Kaopectate (or maybe it was Pepto Bismol) with a turkey baster! Not fun! I nearly bled to death. Since then I've had dogs -- they eat just about anything, and they don't try to kill you if you have to shove something down their throats.

How to give your cat a pill

How to give your cat a pill... humor
1. Grasp cat firmly in your arms. Cradle its head on your elbow, just as if you were giving baby a bottle. Coo confidently, "Thats a nice kitty." Drop pill into its mouth.

2. Retrieve cat from top of lamp and pill from under sofa.

3. Follow same procedure as in 1, but hold cat's front paws down with left hand and back paws down with elbow of right arm. Poke pill into its mouth with right forefinger.

4. Retrieve cat from under bed. Get new pill from bottle. (Resist impulse to get new cat.)

5. Again proceed as in 1, except when you have cat firmly cradled in bottle-feeding position, sit down on edge of chair, fold your torso over cat, bring your right hand over your left elbow, open cat's mouth by lifting the upper jaw and pop the pill in - quickly. Since your head is down by your knees, you won't be able to see what you're doing. That's just as well.

6. Leave cat hanging on drapes. Leave pill in your hair.

7. If you're a woman, have a good cry. If you're a man, have a good cry.

8. Now pull yourself together. Who's the boss here anyway? Retrieve cat and pill. Assuming position 1, say sternly, "Who's the boss here, anyway?" Open cat's mouth, take pill and...Oooops!

9. This isn't working, is it? Collapse and think. Aha! Those flashing claws are causing the chaos.

10. Crawl to linen closet. Drag back large beach towel. Spread towel on floor.

11. Retrieve cat from kitchen counter and pill from potted plant.

12. Spread cat on towel near one end with its head over long edge.

13. Flatten cat's front and back legs over its stomach. (Resist impulse to flatten cat.)

14. Roll cat in towel. Work fast; time and tabbies wait for no man-or woman.

15. Resume position 1. Rotate your left hand to cat's head. Press its mouth at the jaw hinges like opening the petals of a snapdragon.

16. Drop pill into cat's mouth and poke gently. Voila! It's done.

17. Vacuum up loose fur (cat's). Apply bandages to wounds (yours).

18. Take two aspirins and lie down.

There is a liquid preparation of erythromicin that smells and tastes like banana. It's usually a thick white liquid. It's used for children a lot and I've often noticed that vets can use the same meds for certain animal conditions that humans use. I'll bet that's what you're giving your cats. I know kids will do the same with the med as your cat is doing too!

How to give your cat a pill... humor
1. Grasp cat firmly in your arms. Cradle its head on your elbow, just as if you were giving baby a bottle. Coo confidently, "Thats a nice kitty." Drop pill into its mouth.

2. Retrieve cat from top of lamp and pill from under sofa.

3. Follow same procedure as in 1, but hold cat's front paws down with left hand and back paws down with elbow of right arm. Poke pill into its mouth with right forefinger.

4. Retrieve cat from under bed. Get new pill from bottle. (Resist impulse to get new cat.)

5. Again proceed as in 1, except when you have cat firmly cradled in bottle-feeding position, sit down on edge of chair, fold your torso over cat, bring your right hand over your left elbow, open cat's mouth by lifting the upper jaw and pop the pill in - quickly. Since your head is down by your knees, you won't be able to see what you're doing. That's just as well.

6. Leave cat hanging on drapes. Leave pill in your hair.

7. If you're a woman, have a good cry. If you're a man, have a good cry.

8. Now pull yourself together. Who's the boss here anyway? Retrieve cat and pill. Assuming position 1, say sternly, "Who's the boss here, anyway?" Open cat's mouth, take pill and...Oooops!

9. This isn't working, is it? Collapse and think. Aha! Those flashing claws are causing the chaos.

10. Crawl to linen closet. Drag back large beach towel. Spread towel on floor.

11. Retrieve cat from kitchen counter and pill from potted plant.

12. Spread cat on towel near one end with its head over long edge.

13. Flatten cat's front and back legs over its stomach. (Resist impulse to flatten cat.)

14. Roll cat in towel. Work fast; time and tabbies wait for no man-or woman.

15. Resume position 1. Rotate your left hand to cat's head. Press its mouth at the jaw hinges like opening the petals of a snapdragon.

16. Drop pill into cat's mouth and poke gently. Voila! It's done.

17. Vacuum up loose fur (cat's). Apply bandages to wounds (yours).

18. Take two aspirins and lie down.

:ROFLMAO::LOL: thank you!! the only meds my cat loved were the stuff for furballs - he would come running for that stuff all i did was take cap off and squeeze. and he loved brewers yeast, i can't remember what my vet told me to use that for but he loved it also. that was lot of years ago my poor aja passed of old age at 22.

Back
Top Bottom