Quoting Recipes from books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I would like to share a recipe from a book..

Though I make the Recipe just a bit differently..

I feel I should give Absolute Credit to the Author, ( the book may be out of print, but still for sale on Amazon)..

How does one handle this without Stepping on Toes?

Eric, Austin Tx.

Write the recipe in your own words, along with your changes and you should be fine. I feel that it is good form to add "inspired by" if the recipe is from a blog, website or book. From what others have said here, you cannot copy write a list of ingredients, so if the instructions are in your own words, you should be safe.

I would just say something like, "So-and-so, in her book Cooking to Kill, gives a recipe something like this one. But I have changed things a little by...." Then just write it up in your own terms, without following the original text.

Copyright issues like this are not hard to understand when you consider that it's copyright, not patent, so what's protected is the actual literal text or graphic, not the formula. Don't copy the author's text, and you're not afoul of copyright.

Crediting the formula, the ingredients and steps (not using the same words) to the original author is just courtesy.

See if you can find the recipe from the book online and just provide a link.

There is no joy in cutting and pasting a recipe from a book. All that does is help distribute a copyrighted work bypassing payment to the author and publisher. Instead, do what I do.

As stated above, (1) a list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted. (2) The copyrighted work is the text describing the recipe's method.

So go cook the recipe several times, then put away the book and cook the recipe again and write down what you did. Post that, along with the original list of ingredients. (Or change them. By the time you've cooked it several times you'll probably want to change something.)

Back
Top Bottom