Inspiration from a new guy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we changed our diets to whole food plant based my husband's psoriasis went away. Any diet that avoids processed and ultra processed foods (most have salt, sugar, fats added) will see improvements in health.
I agree!! When the "fat is bad" fad permeated our culture manufacturers started using more sugar to make processed food taste better. Out of the pan and into the fire?

I try to go with trusted sources and with trusted certifying organisations for organic foods. E.g., I do not trust President's Choice organics. They do their own certifying. I want a reliable, third party doing the certifying. I also buy from farmers who basically follow organic practises, but don't have the time and/or resources to do all the paper work involved in organic certification.
I almost typed, "if those certified are not cheating".

I think there's a whole lot of psychosomatic illness going on right now, like there used to be with MSG.
If people realized that MSG was naturally occurring, it wouldn't have been an issue. Right? BTW I found something even better than MSG.
1702591205654.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not claiming that. I said "the theory". It just makes sense.
You did claim that. This is exactly what you said:
Screenshot_20231214-170147_Chrome.jpg

If people realized that MSG comes from tomatoes, it wouldn't have been an issue. Right? BTW I found something even better than MSG.
Wrong. I've been telling people for over 20 years that MSG is naturally in tomatoes, red wine, Parmesan cheese, etc., etc. It was originally isolated from kelp. They insisted it gave them headaches or the shakes or something else.

Well, MSG didn't give me the shakes or headaches. It made the muscles around my face and a bit into the scalp pull in a very distinctive and odd sensation. This would happen even when I didn't know there was MSG in the food. And I still think, but can't prove, that it has to do with L & D isomers of MSG.

Well, MSG didn't give me the shakes or headaches. It made the muscles around my face and a bit into the scalp pull in a very distinctive and odd sensation. This would happen even when I didn't know there was MSG in the food. And I still think, but can't prove, that it has to do with L & D isomers of MSG.
I'm not saying that no one has ever had an unpleasant reaction after eating MSG. There are always exceptions. But billions of people in Asia add it to their food every day and it was a common seasoning used by Americans (and probably others) until a certain doctor wrote a letter to a medical journal in the '60s speculating about a connection. Despite many studies, including at least one where people were given snacks containing MSG during a demo, it hasn't been found to consistently cause symptoms.

A friend of a friend, can eat all the gluten/flour/bread/pastry her heart desires...but only in Europe. Not in the U.S. She attributes that to our flour and how we've changed our wheat to be more disease resistant, etc. Apparently, what we've done is not allowed in Europe.

You did claim that. This is exactly what you said:

I sincerely apologize. You don't have to yell at me :) I shortened that story before I posted it. I boobooed. It should say "bodes well for the theory that". I would edit it if I could. Still "I feel like" is not a claim. I'm only here to learn and share what I've learned.

A friend of a friend, can eat all the gluten/flour/bread/pastry her heart desires...but only in Europe. Not in the U.S. She attributes that to our flour and how we've changed our wheat to be more disease resistant, etc. Apparently, what we've done is not allowed in Europe.
This has been said several times before in discussions on this topic: France and Italy buy a lot of their flour from the United States and Canada. As I said, I believe this is a psychosomatic issue, not biological.

I sincerely apologize. You don't have to yell at me :) I shortened that story before I posted it. I boobooed. It should say "bodes well for the theory that". I would edit it if I could. Still "I feel like" is not a claim. I'm only here to learn and share what I've learned.
I wasn't yelling. THIS IS YELLING 😉 We're all glad you're here and sharing your experience. Some of us (me) are kinda picky about science and language, so this is how I roll.

This is a claim, though, not a feeling: "pesticides (and other chemicals?) get trapped in gluten (and other?) cells until they get digested in our gut."

I'm curious where you got this idea.

I wasn't yelling. THIS IS YELLING 😉 We're all glad you're here and sharing your experience. Some of us (me) are kinda picky about science and language, so this is how I roll.

This is a claim, though, not a feeling: "pesticides (and other chemicals?) get trapped in gluten (and other?) cells until they get digested in our gut."

I'm curious where you got this idea.
Kewl !!! I misunderstood the combination of the VERY LOUD WAY your SCREENSHOT was DISPLAYED by this BBS along with your "how-I-roll" abruptness. ***********
I too have great respect for science, research, language, and accuracy. Which is why I'd like to change my initial article, but aren't "I think" and "theory" the same within a context? Regardless . . .

A doctor told me she had been reading about it as did a physical therapist. That was a few years ago and I've since been surprised by how many folks I have talked to with similar experiences including my naturopath. I haven't found any reputable articles about it - I have not looked very hard because of the people I heard it from - but from the empirical data, it makes a ton of sense. If I had the resources and know-how, I'd do my own labwork and cellular analysis. Hey, have you got an electron microscope and mass spectrometer? I'll bring test tubes!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a sister-in-law who says the same thing about Canadian wheat. I thought she was nuts, but . . . . when she told me she could eat Dave's Killer Bread . . . .

@Quickdraw You don't have to apologize for your feelings, or an anecdote where this appeared to be true in your experience.
The battle about glyphosate, the studies, and the wide usage of it in the US (and not in countries where it is banned), will no doubt continue to rage on. https://www.reuters.com/legal/gover...urge-epa-pull-approval-glyphosate-2023-12-13/
Where I have the choice I choose to be better safe than sorry.
Thanks for that. *******

I know that serious food allergies are very real. That's undeniable. I believe deniability is practiced with many things used in our food chain for profitability and preservation. "Oh, it won't hurtcha in small amounts . . . " but I think it adds up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. *******

I know that serious food allergies are very real. That's undeniable. I believe deniability is practiced with many things used in our food chain for profitability and preservation. "Oh, it won't hurtcha in small amounts . . . " but I think it adds up.
Sometime it does and sometimes it doesn't. If everything we ate stayed in the body, we wouldn't have anything to excrete. According to the experts at the National Toxicology Center, glyphosate is excreted from the body essentials unchanged.

Sometime it does and sometimes it doesn't. If everything we ate stayed in the body, we wouldn't have anything to excrete. According to the experts at the National Toxicology Center, glyphosate is excreted from the body essentials unchanged.
It sounds like you believe the science is settled when it comes to glyphosates, and I hope that's not true. My experiences is that science is funny when it comes to settled science, a lesson I learned many years ago. One thing that is settled for sure is, the food, agra and pharma industrial complex's are driven by money, power and politics, all factors that have no business in science which at it's core is simply a truth seeker. Also, a chemical can have an effect on other chemicals within the body without it not appearing to be left behind. I can't think of any compound that humans ingest that doesn't have an effect on our metabolic system or other systems in some way. :)

Last edited:
A doctor told me she had been reading about it as did a physical therapist. That was a few years ago and I've since been surprised by how many folks I have talked to with similar experiences including my naturopath. I haven't found any reputable articles about it - I have not looked very hard because of the people I heard it from - but from the empirical data, it makes a ton of sense.
What empirical data?

If I had the resources and know-how, I'd do my own labwork and cellular analysis. Hey, have you got an electron microscope and mass spectrometer? I'll bring test tubes!!
Ha, I wish I did! And I wish I knew how to use them! 😁 I used to work at a medical school, so I've seen them, but they're not exactly plug and play.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom