Salmon anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxx

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and looking for help finding a technique for cooking salmon that I saw it in a restaurant once. They had cooked the salmon on a low heat so that it still looked raw. It was an entree dish and the salmon had been cut to a cylinder shape only 3cm (1 1/2 inches?) in diameter. Any ideas as to the temperature and the time?

It is possible that it WAS still raw. Raw salmon is great stuff! I am not sure what temp or how long you would want for your particular recipe, but as long as you get an excellent quality piece of fish then just cook it very low and even if it is completely raw it will still be good.

I actually prefer raw salmon to cooked any day!

It might have been cold-smoked salmon. You can buy machines that can do it in a relatively short amount of time (as compared to 2-3 days) and the fish can look relatively raw. Did you actually eat or get to try the dish? Without knowing the exact flavor of the salmon, we can only guess as to how it was prepared.

Last edited:
Unless we're talking about a salmon of biblical proportions, like in Jonah got swallowed by a Giant Salmon instead of a whale - the salmon was a fillet that was either cut with a round cutter into disks and the disks were stacked one on top of the other - or - it was a fillet that was cut into a strip and wrapped into a cylinder.

But, the presentation really doesn't have anything to do with the "cooking" question here ....I can only think of three ways to "cook" salmon so that it appears to be raw. Cold smoking, as gravlax or as lox. A fourth possibility might be by cooking it in an acidic solution, as in escabeche, but for a fillet I "think" that changes the color.

salmon anyone?

Thanks for the informative replies. I agree GB, raw is the best way to eat salmon, but this one was definately cooked or cured somehow. I got into the restaurants web site and the dish is actually called "42 degree vodka cured trout". I assume 42 degrees means celcius as this is an Aussie restaurant. Bang on the mark with an "acid curing" Michael. I like your idea of stacking layers of fish too, I couldn't figure out how they'd presented the dish. I googled some more and came up with a similar dish called "Absolut Vodka Cured Salmon" it's at www.fooddownunder.com if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom