Ways to use flank steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
When used as a meat filler in dishes, it's economical. I rarely bbq it anymore. I cut it into strips, then cut them in half and freeze it For an instant meal, I unwrap the frozen strips in the microwave for 5 minutes in a small round pyrex bowl, shake it in a few splashes of teriyaki, soy sauce, lime juice, salt and pepper, sugar, crushed garlic from a jar, and some ground ginger. Forget broiling it. I return the pyrex bowl to the microwave and set it on low for 5 minutes. Done and tender too.

Then I micro steam some frozen broccoli and sliced chunks of onion. I add all into a bowl.

I haven't mastered cooking instant rice in the micro, but that 's what makes up the bulk of the meal, of course.

It tastes good for not having to use the oven. Flank steak used this way is both cheap and convenient.

Flank steak is more expensive than ribeye's around me. And there's only one grocery store that even sells them. Frpm what I have seen it is one of those economical cuts that has risen in price in a lot of areas.

We don't see that cut up here in most of our major grocery stores. I suppose you could probably get your hands on some, but the smaller specialty shops usually charge more for their meats, so it isn't worth sourcing out.

I Marinate flank steak and grill it. The key is to cook it no more than medium to medium rare and be sure to slice it thinly across the grain. Very tasty cut of meat.

I make a stuffed flank steak as well. I stuff it with bread stuffing or a spinach and feta combo, roll and tie it. Sear and roast it.

I also use it regularly in stir-frys.

Flanks (along with flat irons and some labeled "london broil") have become a favorite in our house. Rub with your favorite seasoning, grill at very high heat to rare/med rare and slice thin across the grain (as has already been said!) Very flavorful and tender. It's also excellent for fajitas and salads. I've also been using a new (to me) seasoning technique on these and most of my grilled beef. I heavily salt (2-3x normal) add other seasonings and let rest for an hour or 3 before grilling. The flavor is excellent, along with the tenderness and moistness of the meat.

When I was a kid, my Dad could hardly give away flank steak in his little meat market, so we ate it a lot. What we didn't use, he ground up. What a a tasty cut of beef, when it's cooked and sliced properly.
I seldom see it here now, and as some others have said, the cost is on a par with very tender steaks.

Flank steak is more expensive than ribeye's around me. And there's only one grocery store that even sells them. Frpm what I have seen it is one of those economical cuts that has risen in price in a lot of areas.

I'm sorry to see that for many, it's expensive or hard to find. My point was that, using it to fill up the other parts of a meal, such as a stir fry, it's pretty economical for how delicious it is. I too don't bbq it as the main course anymore. In that respect, it is kind of a pricey cut of meat.

I don't buy T-bone steaks anymore for the same reason, way expensive now. I wish the industry would start selling "thin cut" T-bone steaks, as they do with other steaks, to make it less expensive for that kind of great tasting bone in meat. I've not seen any T-Bone steaks cut thin sliced yet. I'm seeing more and more other steaks being cut thinner to save the consumer some money.

Last edited:
I don't know about over there, Bolas, but over here it is a different cut of beef. Thinner than a flank and from the diaphragm area I think.

I don't buy T-bone steaks anymore for the same reason, way expensive now. I wish the industry would start selling "thin cut" T-bone steaks, I'm seeing more and more other steaks being cut thinner to save the consumer some money.

The industry only does things to help the industry. I believe the industry is offering smaller portions to make the prices seem reasonable. It is common now to see downsized portions. Same packaging, no mention of contents size change(except for the smallprint) , but at the same price. http://wcbsfm.radio.com/2011/01/06/smaller-portions-same-price/They are shaving 5 to 10% off of sizes/weights instead of raising prices. Scam-a-lam-a-ding-dong.

Up here you can buy potatoes in 7 lb bags for what you used to pay for 10 lb bags. 7lb bags? Has there been lots of requests for 7lb bags of potatoes? Is the industry really filling a demand here? No. Strictly a marketing ploy to make more money.
Sorry for the rant.....

Last edited:
Here's what flank (left) and skirt (right) steaks look like.

Flank is a thicker cut with more body than skirt.

Attachments

• fl.jpg
    fl.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 167
  • sk.jpg
    sk.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 159
The skirt steak is from the belly below the chuck, the flank is below the loin.
There are still 2 of each on a beef animal, and neither is ground or made into stew meat, so there is the same amount proportionally around today as before. What happens is that meat vendors get creative with their naming and chefs get creative with cheaper cuts of meat, both trending toward prices being raised. Skirt steak was formerly called plate, and you couldn't give it away. Flank steak is now generally marketed as London broil or something similar. It pays to be able to recognize cuts of meat in the market.

I don't buy T-bone steaks anymore for the same reason, way expensive now. I wish the industry would start selling "thin cut" T-bone steaks, as they do with other steaks, to make it less expensive for that kind of great tasting bone in meat. I've not seen any T-Bone steaks cut thin sliced yet. I'm seeing more and more other steaks being cut thinner to save the consumer some money.

I don't think a thin cut works for a premium cut of steak. Difficult to properly cook it.

When porterhouses and NY strips are cut thin it makes me mad.

I don't think a thin cut works for a premium cut of steak. Difficult to properly cook it.

When porterhouses and NY strips are cut thin it makes me mad.

I wouldn't want my porterhouse too thin either.

Around here they sell T-bone with a only teeny bit of tenderloin, thinly sliced, and call it a wing steak.

Flank is related to skirt and can be used in similar recipes. My favorite is to marinade with an Asian-based marinade, then grill and cut across the grain. The carving, to me, is the real key, that and not over-cooking it.

In the winter, I buy little flat iron steaks, and again carving is key. I slice thinly and marinade, then stir fry or make stroganof or something similar. But still, the carving and marinading is crucial.

I agree, what cracks me up is this used to be a bargain cut of meat. I found a piece of flat iron in the back of my freezer ... and compared it to a piece in the front. The price has doubled! When I was a kid, Mom used to stuff flank steak and it was a bargain meal. I don't think I ever had any of the cuts that are more expensive until I was well into my twenties and buying my own food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom