Smoked Cod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After 3 hours at 185, the fillets are coming off the smoker. They have a golden color from the smoke and are tender and flakes apart. Some clear juices remain inside. Planning a fried rice with some for supper tonight.

How did it taste?

Tastes great. Salty and smokey at the same time. If bacon could be fish this would be it!

I using about half to make a stir fry. Broccoli, snow peas, carrots, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and egg in addition to the fish. Cooking in sesame and canola.

Hot off the stove......

Attachments

• image-2817270570.jpg
    image-2817270570.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 292
After 3 hours at 185, the fillets are coming off the smoker. They have a golden color from the smoke and are tender and flakes apart. Some clear juices remain inside. Planning a fried rice with some for supper tonight.

.40 they look brilliant and at this stage they would consitute the start of one of my favorite fish breakfasts, I would poach them in milk with a bit of butter then drain and top with a poached egg. Haddock not Cod is the trad fish here, these are my fav Arbroath Smokies - The Original Smokie from Arbroath hot smoked.

Last edited:
Full Circle

I froze the other half of the smoked cod after making the stir-fry. I thawed it out today and we are planning a chowder for supper tonight.

Smoked Cod Chowder
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: .40

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. Smoked Cod, shredded
3 cups chicken broth
2 bacon slices, minced
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
2 lb. potatoes, peeled, diced
3 cups heavy cream or half and half
Salt, to taste
1 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

1. Use fork to shred smoked cod into flakes

2. Cook the bacon slowly in a soup pot over medium heat until lightly crisp, about 8 minutes.

3. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 2-3 minutes.

4. Whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The liquid should be the consistency of heavy cream. If it is too thick, add more broth to adjust the consistency. Add the bay leaf and fresh thyme.

5. Add the potatoes and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.

6. When the potatoes are tender, add the smoked cod and cream to the soup base. Simmer until heated through.

Since this is a subject that interests me, a lot, I did some googling. It led me where I should have looked right away - a Danish forum that I have joined, but not yet participated in: Grillguru.dk.

The recommendations for cold smoking cod:
  • filet the fish
  • cover in salt, not brine, until the flesh is firm, not until hard
  • rinse off the salt, dry the fish, let it air dry
  • smoke at less than 20C
  • smoke 12-18 hours, test for doneness by texture and tasting

If you want to read the thread, it's here: www.grillguru.dk • Vis emne - kold røget torsk

Google Translate does a weird job, but some of it made sense. (you can paste the URL)

Everywhere it refers to "soil", "hummus", or some strange word with "smuld" as part of the word it means sawdust.
Pretty soon, if not already, it will be to hot around here to smoke at my favorite temp < 20 grad (68F).

Last edited:
I got some lovely cod at Costco, but won't have time to smoke it til we get home from holiday. I've frozen it and I'm going to see if I can get fresh before I start, but I'm really looking forward to this project.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom