Freezing Pies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aidenbaby

Assistant Cook
Hi, all! I am "in charge" this year of Thankgiving. I have several wonderful recipes which I expect to turn out beautifully, as most of the recipes from allrecipes.com that I've used do. My problem is that I don't have time to make pies from scratch on Thanksgiving. I am wanting to make them from scratch on Monday or Tuesday, freeze them and then bake them on Thanksgiving while we are eating and resting. I'm making 2 pumpkin pies and 2 apple pies. I've read in a few places that the pies can be frozen after being filled and then cooked later. My question is, do I need to thaw them on Thanksgiving or can I just follow the regular cooking instructions?

I do not think it's wise to freeze unbaked pies especially when the mixture is wet. Why not prebake the pie crust and freeze it for use later. The filling and baking can be done on the eve of Thanksgiving.

I've decided to bake the apple pies and freeze them. Some of the information I've found on the internet recommends this. To have warm pies you reheat at 325 f until they start to bubble again.

Do you guys think I can get away with making the filling for the pumpkin pies ahead, freezing it, thawing and filling the pies on Thankgiving? I may be hoping for too much but I'd like to simplify the work on Thanksgiving as much as possible while still have a made-from-scratch meal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom