Apple Pie - what to do with the apples?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine is not. But it's large enough and wide enough that it can work for a pie from 9" to 10" wide, which suits me. If you go on Amazon you can see pie crust protectors much like the one I have; I most likely got mine from Amazon (I do not remember for sure). Now that I'm looking at that, my problem was with an adjustable silicone pie crust shield; the non-adjustable ones might be okay.
I'll check out the ones on Amazon. I have a few pie plates of different sizes. I order ready made tourtière and that's a different size. I really don't want to have to get more than one and one that would do 9" to 10" would be a total waste of time with a 7" or 8" pie.

I don’t recall burnt crust being a problem for the old souls in my family that made pie on a regular basis.

I’ve had it happen a few times with my own pies and with commercially made frozen pies but most of the time it’s not an issue.

Before buying a crust protector I would do some troubleshooting as to why the crust burns.

The oven may be too hot, the pie may need to bake on a lower shelf, the crimped edge may need to be brought in from the edge of the pan, the pie may need to be baked on a sheet pan, the crust recipe, thickness, etc…

Practice, practice, practice! 🐷🐷🐷

Last edited:
taxy, foil ones I make myself from always hanging around used pieces. But I also don't put them on unless it is starting to get too browned and hopefully I will have noticed.

Thanks for all the positive responses! The pie is all eaten and compliments from the brothers!

I do think I have learnt a few things from this one, so really, a good result all round!

I am going to look up the crust protector. My oven is not the greatest and I do seem to get burnt edges so it could be a useful thing to have.

Dragn, I need to find a place to store used pieces of foil. I prefer the idea of using already used foil.

LOL, bottom of the oven (do you have a drawer there?) top of the fridge, at the back of the junk drawer, at the back of the silverware drawer, stashed in the the plastic bags, inside a mixing bowl, under the stack of dinner plates, soup bowls, etc.
Lots of places.
Under the cushion of the kitchen chair. :LOL:

never said it was a tidy place ;)

LOL, bottom of the oven (do you have a drawer there?) top of the fridge, at the back of the junk drawer, at the back of the silverware drawer, stashed in the the plastic bags, inside a mixing bowl, under the stack of dinner plates, soup bowls, etc.
Lots of places.
Under the cushion of the kitchen chair. :LOL:

never said it was a tidy place ;)
Most of those places already have too much stuff or are too heavy for me to want to move often. However, with the plastic bags sounds like a good spot. Thanks for the idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom