Apple Pie - what to do with the apples?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
I am a little nervous to post a thread about apple pie to a mainly American/Canadian forum, however, I trust I will receive sound advice!

Basically, I have never made an apple pie. I am fine with making pastry. However, I have looked up recipes (BBC and others) and get differing instructions on what to do with the apples. Also my mother, who made apple pies on a fairly regular basis, never did what these recipes say to do.

Now, what my mum used to do, was peel, core and slice the apples, pile them into the pie dish (which was a fairly shallow enamel plate lined with shortcrust pastry) and then sprinkle a very large amount of sugar and some cinnamon over them. Then a layer of pastry over the top and poke some holes. To be fair, the pastry was usually pretty tough but the pie filling was generally pretty okay, particularly when slathered with some Bird's Instant Custard.

My mum was not a good cook. (Loved her to bits, but cooking was not her thing.)

So, nostalgia aside, what are you actually supposed to do with the apple for the filling? I want the apple slices to be cooked, but not turned to mush. I want the cinnamon. And I certainly don't want a soggy pastry bottom! (Sorry, that was just for anyone who enjoys GBBO.) ;-)

Some recipes say I should partially cook the apples. Some say I should lay the slices out on kitchen paper to dry out while I make the pastry. (Wouldn't they go really brown without some lemon juice?) The objective is to remove excess moisture of course. Some recipes say to add flour to the pastry base. Some say to add flour to the apples and mix with the cinnamon.

What should I do to get a nicely cooked apple filling?

Oh, and I should add. I couldn't find a shallow enamel plate like my mum's, but I have acquired a slightly deeper version. Does the depth of the filling have any relevance?

Last edited:
Here is the recipe I use from my old Armenian aunt. No doubt she copied it from somewhere but it's really good. I've made a couple of minor adjustments.

Aunt Satenig’s Apple Pie

3 Lb Apples, Cortlands
150 Gr Sugar (¾ C)
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ tsp Nutmeg
1 Tb Flour
1 tsp Lemon
1 Tb Butter
2 Ea Pie Crusts
1 Lg Egg Yolk
1 Tb Milk

Preheat oven to 450ºF. Position a shelf at the lowest level of the oven and place a half sheet pan on that shelf to preheat with the oven.

Choose a metal pie plate to ensure a fully cooked and browned bottom crust.

Peel, core and slice the apples – not too thin.

Add the lemon juice to the apples.

Combine the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and flour and mix them into the apples.

Set this mixture aside for an hour to allow the apples to release some of their liquid and collapse. This will help prevent/reduce a high domed crust with a large empty space under it.

Place one piecrust in the pie plate arranging it so there is an inch of overhang. Pour the filling and all accumulated juices into the crust.

Dot the filling with bits of the butter.

Apply the top crust. Fold both the crust overhangs together and under itself so they are at the edge of the plate. Crimp decoratively with your fingers or a fork.

Brush with an egg yolk beaten with milk. Cut a few slits/holes into the top crust for venting.

Place the pie on the sheet pan.

Bake at 450ºF for 30 minutes then turn the temperature down to 350ºF until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling – about another 15-25 minutes.

*Katy, let me know if you need a pie crust recipe.

Last edited:
The NUMBER 1 thing is....the apples! I like to use a combination of apples. Some that will stay firm(er) and some that will get soft(er). (Generally, that is like half pippins and half Macs or Cortland or Jonathan or Fuji or something similar). Then, I like to simplify the process! Love my gadgets. I use an apple peeler, corer, slicer gadget, invented by the Amish! So, no electricity required! It makes a process that might take hours into one that requires just a couple of minutes. But don't tell the recipients! ;) Make them feel special and that you slaved for hours, just for them!

I have a few recipes. One is from Betty Crocker, double crust (my first cookbook). Two are from a more current book. Of the more current one is single and includes cream cheese and the other is another double that includes a bit of milk in the apples. All are excellent. Let me know if I should get those recipes to you.

Don't be intimidated!

Brilliant Andy! This seems just what I was after. Dotting with butter - I think my mum did that now that I think about it? Never had lemons, but I am definitely doing that. Thank you! (I'm fine for the pastry)

Thanks Ginny! You are correct that I am a little intimidated! My brothers and I all loved our mum and we did enjoy her apple pie! (Which is actually why I never made it in all these years.) But I have confidence in my pastry and general cooking ability.

Making this tomorrow (or rather later today in Britain), so I will let you know how it went - and in particular, how my brother Ollie reacted.

Last edited:
I have never mixed flour in with the apples. I have always used corn starch.

But, then, I watched a short Jacques Pépin video on making an apple tart / apple gallette. It's very good. I didn't bother with the apricot jam. It won't have the same nostalgia as making something similar to your mum's apple pie. But, I think it's a really nice version of "apple pie".

Link to the video.

Andy, hate to point out - but most oven don't take an hour + to reach temperature. So if you are setting your apples aside for an hour, well,... maybe you might want to think about when to start heating your oven. :LOL:

1. like taxy, I have always used Corn Starch to help thicken the juices.
2. a.) don't know what kind of apples are available to you but research for ones that are more likely to hold their shape.
b.) And seeing as you are doing a pie today/tomorrow, I will assume you already have your apples - so don't worry about it! Use what you have.
c.) But if you are worried about them losing their shape, don't slice them too thin.
3. don't stress about whether or not you have a glass, metal, ceramic pie plate - use what you have. But the advice to put a cookie sheet into the oven to preheat is a good one that actually works.
4. have never heard of doing 2 temperatures to bake but if it works for Andy's pies I would certainly trust it!

Good luck and let us know,.

Also my father loved his apple pie served with a nice Cheddar Cheese - but the rest of the family preferred it served with Ice Cream (vanilla). I know my mother used to change the spice depending on which way she was intending to serve it but can't think of the various spices right now, oops, sorry.

Granny Smith apples are what I use. Combine sugar and/or brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, a pinch of salt, flour, and corn starch (sometimes I add ground pecans or ground candied pecans to sugar, and spices) and set aside till ready to fill the pie plate. I line my pie plate with the pastry, then brush bottom and sides, all the way to edge, completely with egg wash (I feel this helps prevent a soggy bottom crust). I prepare my apples and toss with sugar mixture (sometimes I add raisins and/or nuts to the apples) just before I place in the plate (so there isn't too much liquid to make a soggy bottom crust). Dot with butter, top pastry, press pastry together, turn under, and crimp, brush with egg wash, and make vents. I also use the bottom shelf and pie placed on a sheet pan.

NOTE:
Sometimes I’ll place half the apples in plate, half sugar mixture, other half apples, remaining sugar mixture, butter, and top crust.

Last edited:
Well, the pie was made. Sadly, it wouldnt have won any awards for appearance - ugly is the only way to describe it!! However, the pastry was not at all soggy on the bottom and even though the edges are pretty dark, they tasted "nutty" rather than burnt. The filling was the star - the apples came out exactly as I wanted! Little bit embarrassing, but I am posting a picture - not too much laughing please!!
Apple Pie 060823.jpg

Well, the pie was made. Sadly, it wouldnt have won any awards for appearance - ugly is the only way to describe it!! However, the pastry was not at all soggy on the bottom and even though the edges are pretty dark, they tasted "nutty" rather than burnt. The filling was the star - the apples came out exactly as I wanted! Little bit embarrassing, but I am posting a picture - not too much laughing please!!
4 Stars for effort @KatyCooks! This is how we learn. I'm betting you wheels are turning figuring out how to change/modify things for next time! You certainly licked the "dome"! :chef:

A little custard or a scoop of vanilla ice cream will set things right! 😉

I find it easier to make an apple crisp or crumble with a topping of flour, oatmeal, walnuts, brown sugar, spice and butter.

1691348253446.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful Katy, don't let anyone tell you otherwise! LOL! that being said, I agrre with Aunt Bea, for me personally a Crisp or Crumble is the way to go.
Your pie looks 100% better then mine ever do.

If you're planning to make pies on the regular, you may want to invest in a crust protector. It's a circular piece of metal (there are some silicone ones but I don't recommend them) that you can place on the pie for about 3/4 of the cooking time. It prevents the edges of the crust from getting so brown. Best of all, they're pretty cheap and clean up easily.

And given that a tasty pie pretty much always vanishes quickly, I wouldn't worry too much about it being a little bit ugly.

If you're planning to make pies on the regular, you may want to invest in a crust protector. It's a circular piece of metal (there are some silicone ones but I don't recommend them) that you can place on the pie for about 3/4 of the cooking time. It prevents the edges of the crust from getting so brown. Best of all, they're pretty cheap and clean up easily.

And given that a tasty pie pretty much always vanishes quickly, I wouldn't worry too much about it being a little bit ugly.
Just curious, why do you prefer metal pie crust protectors to silcone ones?

I had a silicone one and it fell apart after a few months. It's difficult to store without it getting all fudged up with my other cooking stuff. The metal one rests on its side in a cabinet and I've had it for years.

Sometimes, sturdiness is a virtue. IMHO, anyway.

I had a silicone one and it fell apart after a few months. It's difficult to store without it getting all fudged up with my other cooking stuff. The metal one rests on its side in a cabinet and I've had it for years.

Sometimes, sturdiness is a virtue. IMHO, anyway.
That makes sense. Is the metal one adjustable in size?

That makes sense. Is the metal one adjustable in size?
Mine is not. But it's large enough and wide enough that it can work for a pie from 9" to 10" wide, which suits me. If you go on Amazon you can see pie crust protectors much like the one I have; I most likely got mine from Amazon (I do not remember for sure). Now that I'm looking at that, my problem was with an adjustable silicone pie crust shield; the non-adjustable ones might be okay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom