Apple cookies & Grating ingredients.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook

I tried out this recipe because I had apples left over from various apple crisp versions. Is there a best way to grate ingredients? I found apples challenging, and ginger root can also be tough. 80% of the time I will grate one of my fingers as well.

With this recipe it called for 1 medium Granny Smith apple. I found it required closer to 2.5 apples to approach 1 cup. Mostly water. It made the dough very runny. Kind of seems like running apples through a juicer and collecting the solids in the filter would be better. I only got 15 cookies of very different sizes. Rather hard to gauge 2 level tbsps. And they seemed more like biscuits than cookies. Icing only made it taste worse. What might I be doing wrong?

I’ve always used an inexpensive old fashioned box grater, similar to this one, with good results.
229-sg200.jpg

If you only want the pulp it’s simple enough to squeeze out the excess moisture from a grated apple, potato, etc…

A scrape or two is a minor rite of passage in every cook’s life and shouldn’t be an issue if you are a fast learner. 😉

A Volrath disher, similar to these, will help you get uniform cookies, muffins, meatballs, etc…
1701856906870.jpeg

Give the disher a squirt of cooking spray to help release the contents with minimal sticking.

I doubt that you did anything wrong.

If you don’t care for the texture try another recipe.

Keep experimenting until you build a collection of recipes and equipment that express you and your interests.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom