I Don't Want To Use Cool Whip!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I make a whipped cream topping for a cake, I just add powdered sugar and vanilla to the cream. Sometimes we also add cocoa powder for a chocolate whipped cream. It holds up with no issues at all.

My concern with this recipe is that the whipped cream is folded into the filling and used as a 'frosting' then frozen. I was concerned that the freezing would cause a problem.

Thanks to all you good folks who offered help, I am no longer in the dark.
My one disaster with frozen whipped cream was when I defrosted some commercially frozen little pellets of the stuff and tried to stir them when they were thatwed and it went runny. As you'll be doing the stirring/whipping beforehand and eating it "as is" this wouldn't be a proble. You said you'd be folding it into the PB and cream cheese mixture and those two will hold it together.

I really hate to interrupt all your ramblings outside the parameters of the thread :rolleyes: but I thought I'd report back on the topic.

I did not make the peanut butter pie because SO happened to mention tres leches cake and that became the dessert of choice. We'll have that with dinner tonight.

However, I am intrigued by this dessert and will be making it soon. We're headed out for vacation next weekend so it will probably be after we return.

Sheesh. And after all our hard work, fabulous advice, and effort, you have tres leches.

Good choice, IMHO!

Andy, I would take a lesson from Tiramisu and replace the Cool Whip with a mixture of whipped cream and mascarpone. Whip the cream and fold in the mascarpone. I guarantee it won't break.
/

Yep, this gets my vote!

(When you finally get around to making it of course Andy!)

Last edited:
Yep, this gets my vote!

(When you finally get around to making it of course Andy!)

Well since it was brought up again :rolleyes:
I've had Cool Whip. And I've had Marscapone. And I don't know how one could substitute for the other. Marscapone seemed to have a rather distinctive taste. Wouldn't regular whipped cream be closer?

I've had Cool Whip. And I've had Marscapone. And I don't know how one could substitute for the other. Marscapone seemed to have a rather distinctive taste. Wouldn't regular whipped cream be closer?

Mascarpone is a cheese (albeit a very creamy one). So I guess it is a little more robust when it comes to freezing (which I think was the original issue because cream doesn't freeze very well without additives - and Andy (I think) didn't want to use Cool Whip because of that).

If there is an additive-free way of making anything, I will use it. And to be frank, fresh dairy products are vastly superior to manufactured varieties in my opinion.

And yes, I know, sometimes you have no choice. (I use CoffeeMate at work in my coffee.)

I didn't mean just freezing. It has a different taste that Cool Whip, so I was asking from more of a true substitute angle. Even our Philadelphia Cream cheese has a flavor, not as distinct as Marscapone though.

I didn't mean just freezing. It has a different taste that Cool Whip, so I was asking from more of a true substitute angle. Even our Philadelphia Cream cheese has a flavor, not as distinct as Marscapone though.

But Pac, I was just getting back to Andy's original question! :innocent:

Okay, on top of a dessert, cream cheese (from anywhere) isn't going to work. And yes, I agree, proper whipped cream is the way to go.

But I was agreeing to a combination suggestion that seemed to fulfil the need for natural products, with a degree of robustness in the freezer.

I feel like I aged about 10 years....

I've had Cool Whip. And I've had Marscapone. And I don't know how one could substitute for the other. Marscapone seemed to have a rather distinctive taste.
Can you taste Mascarpone (or for that matter, raw eggs) in Tiramisu? I can't. If you blend it with whipped cream, sugar, and peanut butter, I don't think you will even notice anything you could put your finger on as tasting cheese-like.

Plus if you Google "peanut butter pie mascarpone", you will find there are quite a few recipes that use it as an ingredient.

Can you taste Mascarpone (or for that matter, raw eggs) in Tiramisu? I can't. If you blend it with whipped cream, sugar, and peanut butter, I don't think you will even notice anything you could put your finger on as tasting cheese-like.

Plus if you Google "peanut butter pie mascarpone", you will find there are quite a few recipes that use it as an ingredient.

I've never had Tiramisu, but you are right. Maybe the flavor would disappear some with the other ingredients.

I've used both cream cheese and mascarpone in tiramisu, and to be honest they tasted the same. I think that the subtleties of the mascarpone are lost when you have the strong flavors of coffee. I would assume the same would go for peanut butter.

I'm all for saving $$$ when it makes sense, and using the real deal when it really makes a difference.

Is my memory wrong, or is marscapone milder in flavor than creme cheese? And if marscapone has any sour notes, could creme' fresh be used instead. It simply tastes like very thick cream. That wouldn't change the flavor of the pie at all, but would make it heavier than using a stabilized, or unstabilized whipped cream. That might not be a bad thing though.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I can't say I think there's a huge difference in flavor between mascarpone and cream cheese. Mascarpone has a bit softer texture and the flavor is mild enough that it could be sweetened for use in a dessert or made more savory for use as a pasta sauce, with caramelized onions, for example.

So I think it would work fine in the peanut butter pie.

My problem with diet soft drinks is that they taste foul! I'm a (very moderate) gin and tonic drinker and finding tonic that doesn't have saccharine or aspartame in it is really difficult. When I find the sugar version I buy bottles by the half dozen. G&T with "low fat" tonic is really vile.

I notice the off taste a bit with diet Pepsi, but none with Diet Coke. I guess I've been drinking it for so long I just don't taste it anymore. I make my wine spritzers and mixed drinks with Diet Ginger Ale and don't taste it there, either.

Can you please get back to Off Topic again? :LOL:

I do believe we have answered the original question and solved the problem. It's amazing how we can get off subject, answer a question and still go on and on. And after all this, Andy decided not to make the pie at this time anyway. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom