AVOCADO Muffins!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
You all know I love the avos!
Here's yet another idea of what to do
with them.

AVOCADO MUFFINS

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 avocado mashed well (no chunks!)
1 cup toasted slivered almonds
1 cup milk

2 cups self-raising flour
lemon rind

Preheat oven to 400F and spray pans with Pam.
Cream butter and sugar and beat in the egg. Blend in the avocado and milk and mix in the nuts.

Add the flour and mix gently but thoroughly until the ingredients are moistened and combined.
Pour into pans.
Bake 20-25 minutes.
Makes 10-12.

You know jkath, I sure wish they were as cheap here as they must be for you. Those babies cost me an arm and a leg to buy. And frankly, after filling my van, I don't have the arm or leg to spare!

These look tasty though. Got a pic to post?

hee hee hee hee....
Well, now that I have a bit more time, I've been baking up a storm. Yesterday was almond brownies, today was banana muffins, and hopefully I'll bake more avo-muffins later on this week. I'll be sure to take a photo when I do.

interesting... avocados are good in everything, right?

really, i dont doubt that this is yummy.. i like the combo of avocado and almonds. i used to love to buy avocado ice cream and sprinkle chopped nuts on top.

Adventuring with Avocados

Yes, JKATH, your attribution of happiness to enjoying avocados is very much understood! And I must soon freeze a batch of avocado ice cream. (It will be my first taste of that confection.)

I distinctly remember having seen this Avocado Muffin recipe in the MasterCook database. Although I am a dedicated consumer of avocados (I eat, on average, 5 per week, year-round!), I think the fruit has a rather narrow range of baking usage. Avocados have an inevitable flavor affinity for egg dishes, crab imperial, poached & roast salmon, shrimp cocktail, most everything done with chicken, and even pork roast. The fruit has such an enigmatic harmony with certain foods.

Approaching my buckling bookshelves, I shortlisted titles I presumed would have the most promise of containing avocado dessert recommendations. Hmmm, I didn’t manage to ace the score:

Cat Cora’s Kitchen (Salsa & some conception of a "sandwich" with crabmeat).
Mark Miller’s Red Sage: Contemporary Western Cuisine (None!)
Jacques Pépin’s Fast Food My Way (The one recipe using avocado doesn’t look sweet to me!)
The Tex-Mex Cookbook by Bob Walsh (I checked his Web site, too…Sorry, amigo!)
The Café Pongo Cookbook (Well, there is a recipe, but it ain’t for dessert.)
Desserts with a Difference (Surprisingly, there isn’t a single itty-bitty one.)
Zarela’s Veracruz (Zip, zero, nada!)
Jane Grigson’s Fruit Book (She reiterates a recipe for Avocado with Strawberry Sauce by Prue Leith, the latter’s words quoted as follows: "I know it seems bizarre and looks too pretty to be good, but try it." Perhaps next year, when strawberries are in season locally.)
Chez Panisse Fruit (Salads: 2; Desserts: 0)
The Fruit Book by Elizabeth Riely (Again, none for the honey jar!)
Nicole Routhier’s Fruit Cookbook (Guess what?!)

I located a recipe in one of my file binders for ‘Avocado Mousse with Lychee Sorbet & Raspberry Sauce’ which I had copied from the Los Angeles Times last January. An esoteric blend called "Avocado Ice" is found in Pippa Cuthbert’s 2004 book, Juice! – iceberg lettuce, 1 lime, ¼ cucumber, ½ avocado, 1 tsp wasabi, and of course, ice cubes. Liquefied guacamole is the puréed result.

"What peaches and what penumbras! Whole
families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands!
Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes! —
Allen Ginsberg, "A Supermarket in California" (1956)

To my knowledge, one of the best online resources for avocados used in desserts is sectioned on the California Avocado Commission’s pages.

Recently, I read an article posted on a British news portal about a most-welcome horticultural achievement: namely, the pit-free avocado. A prayer has been answered.

Lawrence

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom