Crispy cake tops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
When your cake isn't done on the inside but the top is very crispy, how do you adjust the temperature?

I try pound cake recipes all the time...still looking for the ultimate. Although I believe I have found the BEST, I keep on searching. :LOL: It's my excuse to keep baking them.

I'd reduce the temperature. The top seems to be cooking too fast for the interior to cook completely.

I'll try it 25 degrees lower next time. Thanks Andy!

They aren't over cooked but the crust is a little thicker than I like.

When the top is getting too brown and the inside is still goopy, I put a sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil on top, shiny side in, for the remainder of the baking time. That helps...

Jan, are you using an oven thermometer? Your oven could be just a little "off."

I have a friend who makes the MOST delightful pound cakes and each and every one turns out with this wonderful crust on top that cracks perfectly every time and sides that are crusty, a wonderful moist interior, and a tad of goo right at the bottom. I have never asked her for the recipe but I'll see if I can get it.

Half Baked said:
your cake isn't done on the inside but the top is very crispy

Hey, is this how you came up with your "half baked" name??? :LOL:

:LOL: Kitchenelf!

My oven is off and I do have a thermometer that I go by, June. It just seems like when I think the cake should be done, by the top crust, I stick a long toothpick in and it's just not quite done. I give it about 10 more minutes and all is fine.

I don't mind the crispy crust, I was just wondering what I was doing wrong. The crust isn't that thick...

*Stuffing my face with cake and shutting up* :pig: :LOL:

I just have an enquiring mind....:ROFLMAO:

Half Baked said:
When your cake isn't done on the inside but the top is very crispy, how do you adjust the temperature?

I try pound cake recipes all the time...still looking for the ultimate. Although I believe I have found the BEST, I keep on searching. :LOL: It's my excuse to keep baking them.

Have you tried baking the cake in a water bath? That might do some good. Just a thought off the top of my head.

Presuming you've checked and you're sure you didn't accidentally broil the cake (trust me, it's been done) ... I think another possibility is a placement issue. It's very important that cakes be positioned in the center of the oven (as much as possible), i.e. not too close to the upper heating element and not too close to the lower heating element.

If you try to use your oven efficiently by putting several things in at once, curb that impulse with cakes. As long as you can position the rack in the middle and can fit two layers on that one rack, go ahead, but if you need two racks to handle two layers, be prepared to switch them partway through or you'll get one with an overdone top and the other with an overdone bottom.

Great suggestions all! Thank you....:)

Today I'm making a football cake for mr hb's grandson's team and since the pan is such an odd shape, I think the water bath would be a great idea for this. Thank you Katie E.

Back
Top Bottom