Stove top smoker, wood chunks OK vs chips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
My son and DIL got a flat top grill last year. It's a monster and were it my own to use anytime there would be no problem. I don't use it enough to be comfortable. I was thinking of using my stove top smoker on it, but although I've found it is not recommended for glass top burners (althugh can be done) I've yet to find a site that says either yea or nay on the flat top.

Anybody have any experience with that? Smoker on a flat-top.
Also, I have done, but don't know if it is efficient or not, bought a bunch of various wood chunks. Should I find a way to make the chunks smaller for the stove-top smoker? It has worked so far, at least the few times I've been able to use it.

Am thinking of getting my self a small gas grill for myself. Summer grilling is on the horizon and I've missed it the last couple of years.

Are you talking about a flat-top like the Blackstone? If so, you should be okay using a stovetop smoker pan.

As for wood, I'd use chips, not big chunks. You can chop up some chunks, if that's what you have. You want something small. Do NOT soak your wood chips/pieces.

If you gat a gas grill, get yourself an A-MAZE-N smoke tube. It uses wood pellets, and works great on a gas grill.

BTW, I own three Weber Kettle charcoal grills, a Weber Genesis gas grill, a Pellet Smoker and a Blackstone griddle. :ohmy::ROFLMAO:

CD

Thanks casey. I have used it on a gas grill and a gas stove. But as I said, the kids have this new flat top grill now, called VIDA by Paderno 5 Burner Gas Griddle. Is this the same as your Blackstone griddle?
I haven't been able to find out if I can put the smoker on the cast iron or not. Technically one should be able to. But other comments I've seen say to check with the manufacturer. Well, haven't been able to... so far.

As to the wood chips vs chunks. Yeah, it is recommended to use the chips, but I happen to buy a whole bunch of different chunks quite a while ago, need to use them up rather than buy more. (think I bought 4 or 5 different woods, they were on sale :innocent:)
I have used them, just don't know if they are efficient that way. And no, I don't soak them. Cameron is very specific in their instructions.

So I guess you're saying I should chop chop, sigh, fingers beware!

Thanks casey. I have used it on a gas grill and a gas stove. But as I said, the kids have this new flat top grill now, called VIDA by Paderno 5 Burner Gas Griddle. Is this the same as your Blackstone griddle?
I haven't been able to find out if I can put the smoker on the cast iron or not. Technically one should be able to. But other comments I've seen say to check with the manufacturer. Well, haven't been able to... so far.

As to the wood chips vs chunks. Yeah, it is recommended to use the chips, but I happen to buy a whole bunch of different chunks quite a while ago, need to use them up rather than buy more. (think I bought 4 or 5 different woods, they were on sale :innocent:)
I have used them, just don't know if they are efficient that way. And no, I don't soak them. Cameron is very specific in their instructions.

So I guess you're saying I should chop chop, sigh, fingers beware!

That griddle looks similar to a Blackstone.

I have a 22-inch portable table top model. I bought it in mid winter on clearance from Walmart for $150. I like that I can take it camping, or over to a friend's house.

As for wood chips vs chunks, the smaller the wood, the more efficiently it will burn in something like a stovetop smoker. I use the larger chunks mixed with charcoal on my Weber Kettles. Be careful... keep all your digits intact. :ROFLMAO:

CD

So, these griddles are for use outdoors, but they are like the flat top griddle in a greasy spoon resto?

Yes and no. They are cast iron, and not as smooth as a flat-top in a diner. But, they do the same thing. They have to be seasoned and maintained, being kept outdoors or stored in a garage. But when it comes to cooking on one, it is basically the same as having your own greasy spoon flat-top at home.

I've only had mine for a few months, so I'm still learning how to use it. I bought it as a cooking toy, not because I really needed it. I am having fun with it, and making good food. So, I'm happy.

Blackstone has a YouTube channel with a handful of good cooks using them. Bruce Mitchel is my favorite. He's a crusty old cajun who's fun to watch.

CD

Last edited:
Ours is very smooth casey. I don't understand why you say yours is not as smooth. I can't get a close-up of the pictures in the ad. I made a mistake in my first post and said it was a cast iron cook surface and I was wrong - it is hot-rolled steel griddle surface. and yes, you still have to season it.

and yeah, to save a few fingers I might just use a hammer on the chunks instead of an axe. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom