Flourless Chocolate Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgeskog

Washing Up
This was published in the food section of my local newspaper and thought I would share it. IT is somewhat like a genoise

Preheat oven to 350, butter and flour (or use parchment) 9x3 round springform pan.

2 oz unsweetened chocolate, broken into small pieces
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate broken into small pieces
9 Tb unsalted butter
3/4 C sugar
3 Tb ground almonds (I have used ground hazelnuts too)
5 large eggs
pinch of salt

Place both chocolates in a bowl (or double boiler) over simmering water and stir until melted, scraping as needed, about 3 minutes.

Gradually stir butter (at room temp) into chocolate. Add 1/2 cup sugar and the almonds. Stir in egg yolks, one at a time.

Beat egg whites and salt until they form soft peaks. Add 1/4 cup sugar and beat just until whites hold their shape. Fold whites into chocolate and pour batter into prepared pan, bake 35 minutes. Cool pan on rack. Remove sides of the pan and invert cake onto a wire rack, remove bottom of pan and cool; completely.

FROSTING, if desired:

4 Tb unsalted butter
2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
3 Tb whipping cream
2/3 C confectioners' sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract.

Melt butter and chocolates in a bowl over simmering water whisking constantly until just melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the cream, then whisk confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Place cake on a baking sheet (or wax or parchment paper) and pour icing over cake spreading the sides. Let rest for 2 hrs. Transer cake to a serving platter. Lightly place a paper doily on the surface and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar to make a pattern.

Serves 8. 530 calories, 47G carbs, 7g protien, 39g fat, 190mg cholesterol, before toping with icecream or whipped cream. I do not make the icing, just do the paper doily and confectioner's sugar and it is great.

Hope all enjoy this.

Also, do not miss kitchenelf's Slices of Sin (posted a year or so ago; find it through the search function on our site)! It is exactly what its name says. I make it with the Ghiardelli Double Chocolate Chocolate Chunks and extra-strong coffee. Oh, my . . . !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom