Hokey Pokey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynan

Sous Chef
Im pretty sure most of the world has not sampled the delights of Hokey Pokey ( unless you have another name for it!) so here is a recipe.
Just make sure you use a large heavy based pan as the mixture does froth considerably, and be careful the bottom does not catch especially over gas.

5 Tbsps White Sugar
2 Tbsps Golden Syrup ( use hot spoon)
1 Tsp Baking Soda

Put sugar and syrup in pan. Heat gently, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and cook until mixture just starts to boil. Stir if necessary to prevent burning. Take off heat and add baking soda. Stir quickly until mix froths up. Pour into a buttered tin immediately.
When cold and hard, break into pieces. Eat as is or:

I like to chocolate dip chunks of this, I fold crushed ( not too fine) pieces through vanilla icecream and leave in freezer a few days so that the HP melts a little. ( Hokey Pokey icecream is NZ's favourite) And one of NZ's most beloved candy bar is the Crunchie, made of HP and choc coated.

Will post a wonderful HP muffin recipe in the right forum.:)

Never heard of it,
but as I was reading, I was forced to put my right foot in and shake it all about.......

Seriously though, that sounds yummy!!!
Good thing I've got golden syrup in the pantry!

New Zealand to English translation, lol, from the daughter of a New Zealander! Hokey Pokey is what in UK we call "honey comb" when we talk about sweets/candy rather than actual honey comb, just as Lynan says...the inside of a crunchie bar!

Lynan, perhaps you can help me, when I tried it it came out bitter and I could taste the Bicarb Soda to easily, what do you think I did wrong?

Oh yes, Lynan, I should tell you what I REALLY miss are chocolate fish..with the pink marshmallow insides, but even more than that: PINEAPPLE CHUNKS!

We call it puff candy in Scotland. Every mother learns how to make it in order to send it into school for a cake/biscuit/sweetie sale day!

I think I may have had this in a candy bar...I think I brought it from England.

Is it a white hard candy with lots of tiny holes in it?

I may be remembering the wrong color. It has been years ago. I guess I'll just have to make Lynan's recipe. :)

My mum used to make Puff Candy ice-cream. She used to send us to one of the local Italian ice-cream shops and buy a huge bowl of their home-made vanilla ice-cream. She used to wait until it had softened a little and then crumble puff candy into it. It was wonderful with the hard pieces of puff-candy and the meltingly delicious ice-cream.:)

I think it's also known as cinder toffee.

This sounds like glass candy. Basically colored sugar. One time I tried to make blue glass candy when I was about 15 but I got impatient because the temp was rising too slowly and the stuff burned. No one wants brown glass candy!

Its not what I know as glass candy. What I know as glass candy is clearish but golden shiny hard candy....this is matt and opaque, looking more like - sponge? Or pumice stone. It tastes and looks better than either of those though!

This is a sponge candy recipe a great cook in Buffalo gave me!

SPONGE CANDY
1 cup sugar 1 T vinegar 1 cup dark corn syrup 1T baking soda

Combine sugar, syrup, and vinegar in heavy pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring, til sugar dissolves. Continue without stirring to 300 degrees (hard crack). Remove from heat, stir in baking soda. Pour into buttered 9x9 pan; when cool break into pieces and dip in melted chocolate.

Back
Top Bottom