"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Now it is showing me that there is one more page, but when I click the "7", it brings me to the top of the same page, page 6.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #62
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's always something, isn't it?
That's for sure!

I don't think I've cooked steak since, but dh tried cooking some on the bbq - a burnt offering pretty much.

Gillian

GilliAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #63
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
That's for sure!

I don't think I've cooked steak since, but dh tried cooking some on the bbq - a burnt offering pretty much.

Gillian
Mark that down on your calendar it could come in handy the next time your dh criticizes the way you cook a steak!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

IMO - There are plenty of different ways to cook a steak; as to which is the best way, that's a personal decision.......... you just have to try different methods and decide what's the one for you.......
Old 10-17-2019, 06:00 AM   #65
Senior Cook

Lol, Aunt Bea. Luckytrim, I guess I was looking for the best method and for how long to cook a steak in order to have it rare, medium or well done. Lately I have been starting with a hot, dry frying pan, rubbing the steak with oil and then frying it for the desired length of time. It works, provided I don't reheat it for too long if it goes cold, but I would like to try grilling/broiling.

Gillian
Old 10-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
Lol, Aunt Bea. Luckytrim, I guess I was looking for the best method and for how long to cook a steak in order to have it rare, medium or well done. Lately I have been starting with a hot, dry frying pan, rubbing the steak with oil and then frying it for the desired length of time. It works, provided I don't reheat it for too long if it goes cold, but I would like to try grilling/broiling.

Gillian
Generally, 5 minutes per side over hot charcoal will get you what you're looking for, depending on the thickness of the steak. That being said, and instant-read thermometer is your best friend. 125 - 130 will give you rare, sometimes called blue, with 135 giving you medium rare, 140 - medium, 145 - medium well, and above 150 for well done.

Here's a site that explains it better - https://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/kitchen/doneness.php

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #67
Senior Cook

Sounds like you're talking about what we call cooking on a barbeque. I think your word for our 'grilling' is 'broiling' - done on a rack in a grill pan under a grill element in a cooker - that's why I wrote 'grilling/broiling in my last post.

Gillian

Tags
cook, steak